ipad from mac backup

Reaction score
Hi
Sorry if i havent posted in the correct place.
My mac is basically dead and i have backed it up, it now only runs when plugged into mains and is VERY slow.
I was thinking about buying an ipad mini and wondered will i be able to restore the ipad from my mac backup? as in have everything that was on my mac on my new ipad? i was thinking then maybe i wont need to buy a new mac.
I only have a few desktop folders and itunes, photos. Theres really not anything different i want to bring over to the ipad but really want all my photos safe!
Thankyou if anyone can help.
Vicki

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Vicki - I'll try to address some of your issues below and may ask for more information to help others in assisting you. :)

My mac is basically dead and i have backed it up, it now only runs when plugged into mains and is VERY slow.

Please provide more exact specs on your computer; I'm assuming that it is a laptop (look HERE for help). Of course, not knowing the age of the machine, the answer may just be the need for a new battery?

I was thinking about buying an ipad mini and wondered will i be able to restore the ipad from my mac backup? as in have everything that was on my mac on my new ipad? i was thinking then maybe i wont need to buy a new mac.

When you state 'be able to restore the iPad from my mac backup', are you saying that you already have an iPad and you want a new one - not clear? Do you have your Mac computer backed up - e.g. on Time Machine (TM)? If not you probably should give that a try (just requires an inexpensive external HD) before the computer 'dies' on you.

I only have a few desktop folders and itunes, photos. Theres really not anything different i want to bring over to the ipad but really want all my photos safe!

Well, if you do not have a TM BU (which would save the photos), you should at least copy your docs, music, & photos onto another device, such as a large USB drive, an external drive, or a cloud option. Good luck. Dave

OP
rippersroo
Reaction score
Hi Vicki - I'll try to address some of your issues below and may ask for more information to help others in assisting you. :)

Please provide more exact specs on your computer; I'm assuming that it is a laptop (look HERE for help). Of course, not knowing the age of the machine, the answer may just be the need for a new battery?

When you state 'be able to restore the iPad from my mac backup', are you saying that you already have an iPad and you want a new one - not clear? Do you have your Mac computer backed up - e.g. on Time Machine (TM)? If not you probably should give that a try (just requires an inexpensive external HD) before the computer 'dies' on you.

Well, if you do not have a TM BU (which would save the photos), you should at least copy your docs, music, & photos onto another device, such as a large USB drive, an external drive, or a cloud option. Good luck. Dave

Hi Dave,
Thankyou so much for replying!
I have a Apple MacBook "Core Duo" 2.0 13" (White) Specs a granddad of macbooks haha! bought in 2007!!
I have been told a new battery would be needed but really now I assume it has died as it only runs off the mains cable I just wanted a ipad.
Sorry I do not have an ipad yet, just want to know if I can set up my ipad from my mac back up which is all on an external hard drive by the way.
Thanks for your help
Vicki

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Could be an app for that, but I've not seen a file browser for iOS that is going to connect to an external drive and allow you to move data from it to an iOS device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave,
Thankyou so much for replying!
I have a Apple MacBook "Core Duo" 2.0 13" (White) Specs a granddad of macbooks haha! bought in 2007!!
I have been told a new battery would be needed but really now I assume it has died as it only runs off the mains cable I just wanted a ipad.
Sorry I do not have an ipad yet, just want to know if I can set up my ipad from my mac back up which is all on an external hard drive by the way.

Hi Vicki - I'd have to agree w/ Bobtomay, i.e. don't believe that your backup will do much good. Further questions, sorry: 1) Do you still want to try to use that 'old' laptop? If so, iTunes (newest update) would be needed to setup your new iPad w/ a cabled connection, and to also perform a backup - but would you trust the computer? 2) Are you planning on buying a new computer? If so, then you have the options listed previously; and 3) I assume that you have broadband internet @ home w/ a Wi-Fi router?

Now if you want to rid yourself of a computer, then a new iPad can be setup w/o one - a Wi-Fi network is needed along w/ an Apple ID - look HERE for more details. If you are near an Apple store and purchase from them (or another authorized Apple dealer), they can help you setup the iPad; you can also use iCloud for wireless backup; and there are ways to get your music & photos onto the iPad w/o a cabled computer connection, e.g. the AirStash (which I own) is a great option.

Well, you have a few more issues to contemplate - also, if you are definitely going to obtain an iPad, I suggest joining the iPadForums - I've been a member since early 2011 when I bought an iPad 2. Good luck and post back if you still have questions. Dave :)

OP
rippersroo
Reaction score
Hi thanks guys,
I will keep the old mac but not really use it-the ipad is a cheaper option to replace the mac thats why i wondered if i could set up my ipad from the mac with my photos etc.
Yes i do have wifi at home.

OP
rippersroo
Reaction score
So, if i backed up my mac to icloud, i could use that back up to put my photos/itunes etc on my ipad?
Sorry i dont really understand/trust icloud thats why ive backed up to an external HD so i have it there in my hand if you see what i mean.
for eg. my iphone is backed up to the mac not icloud. would i be able to back iphone up on ipad?
Thankyou

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again Vicki - concerning the Mac, have you taken the laptop to an Apple store or an authorized service center (e.g. Best Buy) to see if a new battery would work? Also you need to tell us which OS X you are running (the current version is Mavericks 10.9.1) - if you are going to use the Mac for setting up your new iPad, then the latest version of iTunes would be needed (and whether it will run on your current OS needs to be addressed). Again setting up the iPad has been explained in previous posts, i.e. cabled to a computer using iTunes or wirelessly w/ a Wi-Fi connection (could be done @ an Apple store).

Hi thanks guys,
I will keep the old mac but not really use it-the ipad is a cheaper option to replace the mac thats why i wondered if i could set up my ipad from the mac with my photos etc.
Yes i do have wifi at home.

Concerning your Mac backup to an external HD, did you use Time Machine or did you just copied over your personal files, i.e. docs/music/pics? I like redundant backups - please read the link previously on AirStash - you could ALSO copy your important files to SD cards and then using AirStash copy them to a new iPad (and the other way, i.e. photos taken on the iPad can be put on SD cards via the Wi-Fi device).

You will not be able to backup the iPhone to an iPad, again your options are the same as for a new iPad, i.e. cabled to a computer w/ iTunes, wirelessly w/ iTunes, or to iCloud.

Let us know your responses to these comments and additional questions. Dave :)

So, if i backed up my mac to icloud, i could use that back up to put my photos/itunes etc on my ipad?
Sorry i dont really understand/trust icloud thats why ive backed up to an external HD so i have it there in my hand if you see what i mean.
for eg. my iphone is backed up to the mac not icloud. would i be able to back iphone up on ipad?

OP
rippersroo
Reaction score
Thanks for the information again sorry im just really confused.
Yes they have told me at the apple store that a new battery would work, but i would rather have an ipad now than pay for a new battery in the mac.
My Mac is running OS X 10.6.8 and itunes is 11.1.3
I backed it up on an external HD, not Apples time machine.

Thanks, Vicki

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the information again sorry im just really confused.
Yes they have told me at the apple store that a new battery would work, but i would rather have an ipad now than pay for a new battery in the mac.
My Mac is running OS X 10.6.8 and itunes is 11.1.3
I backed it up on an external HD, not Apples time machine.

Well, you're are running the newest version of iTunes - now, if $$ were not a major issue (and for you, I don't know?) and the laptop is otherwise working well (don't know that either), my plan would be to: 1) Replace the battery and let Apple check it out (e.g. would extra RAM help?); 2) Buy an iPad and setup it up via iTunes (I'm still cabling mine to my MBPro) w/ one of the suggestions given previously; 3) Continue to use iTunes to backup your iPhone; and 4) Buy another external HD (1 TB is fine and inexpensive) and use Apple's Time Machine - I'm just suggesting this so you have some 'redundant' backups and not sure 'how' you have backup your computer on the other drive? Of course, you could also use a cloud service.

Not sure that I have much more to offer - good luck & let us know your results. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.