Mid 2007 iMac heating problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2007 iMac 20", 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD,10.9.1 Mavericks, iPad mini 1st Gen, iPhone 5C
Hello all, I'm new to the forums here and I recently purchased a new main computer, since my late 2006 had just about had it on its last leg. I purchased a Mid 2007 iMac and had a quick question. Now before I go on, I just want to say I'm not new to Macs or Mac OS X. Made the switch at the end of 2011 and never going back :) But I digress. I wanted to know, it seems like my iMac is running a bit hot. I'll have it on for about maybe 30 minutes and it is burning to the touch (at least it feels that way to me) I installed SMCFan control and its reading that my mac is running at 106 F. Is that normal? I'm just concerned that it may be overheating since my 2011 iMac, which I no longer possess, I don't remember it running so hot. I've also done a little research and looked up charts for the CPU's and other stuff (excuse my noobish manner I just don't remember what else was on the list) and quite frankly it confuses the **** out of me. So, any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I wanted to know, it seems like my iMac is running a bit hot. I'll have it on for about maybe 30 minutes and it is burning to the touch (at least it feels that way to me) I installed SMCFan control and its reading that my mac is running at 106 F. Is that normal? I'm just concerned that it may be overheating...

First question. Are you ABSOLUTELY sure the temp. is 106°F? If so...this is only approx. 8°F above normal human body temp....and is absolutely NOT HOT whatsoever...at all.

So please confirm that we are talking about 106°F...and not some other number.

- Nick

OP
DaftBrony83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2007 iMac 20", 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD,10.9.1 Mavericks, iPad mini 1st Gen, iPhone 5C
Honestly, I am not sure if the program is 100% on the temp readings. However, I highly doubt that it would be going over 106. The fan has never kicked up so high that I would actually take notice of it running. So, I should have nothing to worry about I guess.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
106°F is not "burning to the touch". As I mentioned...106°F is only 8°F above human body temp (not hot at all). We have folks all the time reporting computer temps of 150, 160, 170, 180, and 190+°F (well above the temp of your iMac)...and these computers are fine.

And FYI. When someone makes a cup of coffee or a cup of tea at home...many times they boil water first. The boiling point of water at sea level is 212°F. This is "BURNING HOT".

I can almost guarantee you...that you wouldn't want to take a shower or a bath in 106°F water (too cool). So it's certainly not a temp. to be concerned about with your iMac.:)

- Nick

OP
DaftBrony83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eh, I just wanted to be sure. Guess you can say I have a low tolerance for heat. My bad :Oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.