Since I'm about to spend 3 grand, someone clear this up for me please.....

J

Joey Sarks

I need a laptop soon here. If I buy a macbook pro in a month, will I be able to run my audio software (Serato Scratch Live and Ableton Live, whatever else) or will I have to wait months or a year to run them? Cuz my SSL came with a pc and mac version...but with the intel chips does that mean I cant run either of them on it until a new version comes out? Or whats goin on this switch is confusing the heck outta me. I dont wanna have to buy a new version of SSL before I can use it, plus I dont wanna have to buy an Alienware or Vaio until the switch is complete either. All I know is im sick of PCs and want a mac, but can I get the macbook now or do I have to get a pc notebook for at least a year, then sling that on ebay and get the MBP? Thanks for whoever helps clear this up, much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
You will have to get a universal application to run it on the intel macs, unless it is not overly processor intensive it can run through rosetta for the time being.
Enjoy the macbook pro.. it looks like an amazing laptop!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Joey Sarks said:
Cuz my SSL came with a pc and mac version...but with the intel chips does that mean I cant run either of them on it until a new version comes out?
PowerbookG4 is right, it should run for you under Rosetta.
And just for the record, just because Apple is now using Intel chips, it doesn't mean that you are going to be able to run Windows apps natively under OS X.

The type of processing chip used has nothing to do with it.

Mac software is still made for Macs, and Windows software is still made for Windows.

:black:

OP
J

Joey Sarks

D3v1L80Y said:
And just for the record, just because Apple is now using Intel chips, it doesn't mean that you are going to be able to run Windows apps natively under OS X.

The type of processing chip used has nothing to do with it.

Mac software is still made for Macs, and Windows software is still made for Windows.

:black:

Naw I know I won't be able to run my audio software made for windows on it, but if the macbook can run the mac versions of my programs (some I have, some i'd have to buy...again) with no problems then I was gonna buy the macbook now.....instead of buying an expensive pc notebook to hold me over and selling it after a year or so to get the macbook later on. Thanks for the info though, its clearing up some confusion thus far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Your stuff won't run overly fast under Rosetta but it *will* run just fine. Just as a side note, you may want to hold off on buying a Macbook Pro until you've actually used one. They get *super* hot under your left wrist while typing on them, to the point of being unuseable for me...I won't be getting one for that reason alone.

OP
B

BEEEsH

Osiris22x said:
Your stuff won't run overly fast under Rosetta but it *will* run just fine. Just as a side note, you may want to hold off on buying a Macbook Pro until you've actually used one. They get *super* hot under your left wrist while typing on them, to the point of being unuseable for me...I won't be getting one for that reason alone.

I've used one for a few hours and haven't experienced that.

OP
J

Joey Sarks

Osiris22x said:

Im not worried bout stuff like that, I can take the heat. I only handle it for a few seconds at a time anyways when im picking my next track to spin. It would be a dedicated laptop, I wouldnt use it to get online or type essays or nothing like that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.