Supported Printer not showing on list of printers after software update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13" Retina 256GB SSD, IPAD 3, IPhone 4S, IPOD
Hi,

I'm trying to install a supported printer HP LaserJet M1132 (M1130 Series) to my Mac Book Pro Retina (Mavericks) both directly using USB and on a network connected to a Windows XP Server.

I started by performing a software update and downloaded an infinite list of HP Drivers, excluding mine apparently.

I checked here: OS X: Printer and scanner software available for download and it is supported (this procedure is also supported on the HP website)

Network Installation:

1. Software Update
2. System Preferences
3. +
4. workgroup > server-pc > HPLaserJetM1132 (already installed an working on the XP server)
5. Use: Choose a Driver...
6. Select Software
7. DEAD END mine is not listed (tried also Generic Post Script and Generic PCL)

I also added the ADVANCED button and tried connecting directly using SMB and it works, except that I don't find the driver.

USB Installation:

1. Software Update
2. System Preferences
3. +
4. Default
5. Use: Choose a Driver...
6. Select Software
7. DEAD END

My question is, is there something else I should be doing? Do you know of a different driver that matches? Should I be posting this on an HP forum instead?

Cheers,

William.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apparently, the driver which was downloaded does not match what the system thinks your HP LaserJet Pro model 1132 requires which is why it does not show up in the driver drop down selection.

Generally, it's best to get the driver directly from HP if it's available. Sometimes HP will refer you back to Apple and say it's built into the system. Usually, that means the printer is supported but there are times when the Apple driver data base (which they get from HP) is not up to date.

Let me see if I can find another driver for your model. It's possible there is a third party driver which may work..... I just checked both the "Open Printing site" and the "Gutenprint" site and there are no third party drivers available for your model. You may be able to use the printer in a VM with Windows drivers but that might not be the best solution for what you're trying to do.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reply. HP redirects to Apple in fact like you said. At the moment I'm downloading drivers from a link I found on the HP forum

HP Printer Drivers v.2.16.1 for OS X

Hopefully this will solve my problem but it's taking longer than expecting (somehow wifi is very slow on my mac?)

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That download is coming directly from Apple and will consist of the latest HP driver data base as given to Apple by HP. Let's hope it includes your model. Let us know.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is there in fact now under M1130 Series! However I still cannot print. After choosing the driver, the queue pauses the print job and when I try to resume I get "Couldn't open fifo(0)"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Same problem with the latest Apple drivers for an Epson TX550W. Scanning not available with this version of OS X according to the error message.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When connecting directly via USB I was getting:

"The disk inserted is not readable by this computer"

I read a post somewhere that repairing the disk permissions helps and it helped me when connected to USB. Didn't do anything to network printing but at least I can print something now.

These are the steps I followed:

1. Open Finder.
2. Select Apps.
3. Search for Disk Utility and open it.
4. Select the drive the OS is installed on.
5. Click Repair Disk Permissions.

Installation was automatic. Didn't ask for anything, the printer was just there.

EDIT: Scanning works too when connected via USB

Now back to network printing

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finally managed to print from Mac OSX Mavericks on an HP LaserJet Pro M1132 MFP connected to a Windows XP Server. Except for the last few steps, it's all in this thread but I will summarise just in case.

Printing on the M1132 Via USB

1. Perform Software Update. If you're lucky, your printer driver will be there.
2. Connect the printer to your Mac.
3. If everything is OK, your printing should be enabled
4. If your driver is not available, try this link: HP Printer Drivers v.2.16.1 for OS X
5. If you get the message "The disk inserted is not readable by this computer" you need to
repair your disk permissions, in which case follow these steps:

1. Open Finder.
2. Select Apps.
5. Click Repair Disk Permissions.​

Printing on the M1132 via network with printer connected to a Win XP Computer

On Windows XP:

1. Install the printer using the supplied driver or download one from the supplier website.
2. From Start > Printers and Faxes, right click on the printer and share. Choose a short name (ideally less than 13 characters for your printer. E.g. in my case it's M1132)
3. Make sure that you know this computer's IP address. (Ideally it is a static IP and not assigned via DHCP)
4. Install LPD. On Win XP, this is done by going to Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, Windows Components and check "Other Network File and Print Services"​

On Mac:

1. Perform Software Update.
2. Go to System Preferences and then Printers and Scanners
3. Click on the +, and "Add Printer or Scanner"
4. Click on "Advanced" If you don't have one, right click and customise your toolbar.
5. In Advanced, choose "LPD/LPR" for Type and type in your URL to the printer.
E.g. lpd://192.168.1.50/M1132
6. Choose a name
7. For Use: "Select Software" and choose your driver. If you cannot see your driver, download the latest (for HP) from here: HP Printer Drivers v.2.16.1 for OS X

Happy Printing :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi:

Thanks for the overview and great job. Being persistent paid off! :D

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks it sure did ;)

Reaction score
I finally managed to print from Mac OSX Mavericks on an HP LaserJet Pro M1132 MFP connected to a Windows XP Server. Except for the last few steps, it's all in this thread but I will summarise just in case.

Printing on the M1132 Via USB

1. Perform Software Update. If you're lucky, your printer driver will be there.
2. Connect the printer to your Mac.
3. If everything is OK, your printing should be enabled
4. If your driver is not available, try this link: HP Printer Drivers v.2.16.1 for OS X
5. If you get the message "The disk inserted is not readable by this computer" you need to
repair your disk permissions, in which case follow these steps:

1. Open Finder.
2. Select Apps.
5. Click Repair Disk Permissions.​

Printing on the M1132 via network with printer connected to a Win XP Computer

On Windows XP:

1. Install the printer using the HP LaserJet Pro M1136 MFP driver or download one from the supplier website.
2. From Start > Printers and Faxes, right click on the printer and share. Choose a short name (ideally less than 13 characters for your printer. E.g. in my case it's M1132)
3. Make sure that you know this computer's IP address. (Ideally it is a static IP and not assigned via DHCP)
4. Install LPD. On Win XP, this is done by going to Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, Windows Components and check "Other Network File and Print Services"​

On Mac:

1. Perform Software Update.
2. Go to System Preferences and then Printers and Scanners
3. Click on the +, and "Add Printer or Scanner"
4. Click on "Advanced" If you don't have one, right click and customise your toolbar.
5. In Advanced, choose "LPD/LPR" for Type and type in your URL to the printer.
E.g. lpd://192.168.1.50/M1132
6. Choose a name
7. For Use: "Select Software" and choose your driver. If you cannot see your driver, download the latest (for HP) from here: HP Printer Drivers v.2.16.1 for OS X

Happy Printing :D

excellent this solution worked for me
thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.