Switching carriers with an iPad 3 or newer cellular model

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just an info post for folks who might own an iPad 3 or newer with cellular.... (US and Canada)

The iPad 3 and newer models with cellular capability are all unlocked and will work on either a GSM or CDMA network. I took my Verizon iPad 3 today to my local T-Mobile store and purchased a micro sim from them for $10.00 and was immediately up on the T-Mobile 4G LTE network here in the Dallas Fort Worth area.

I did that because T-Mobile gives me 200 MB of data for free every month and 2.5 GB for $10.00/Mo. Much better than Verizon who was charging me $30/Mo. for 2 GB.

Unfortunately, if you own an iPad 1 or 2 with cellular it's locked to the original carrier and as far as I'm aware can not be changed.

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
... T-Mobile gives me 200 MB of data for free every month and 2.5 GB for $10.00/Mo. Much better than Verizon who was charging me $30/Mo. for 2 GB.
How are you getting that price? According to the Apple site T-Mobile charges $30/mon for 2.7GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
How are your speeds on T-Mo?

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How are you getting that price? According to the Apple site T-Mobile charges $30/mon for 2.7GB.

That's because I'm already a T-Mobile voice customer with two paying lines.

@JohnCL

How are your speeds on T-Mo?

So far, real good. Can't tell the difference from Verizon and in my local area (Fort Worth) the signal is actually better than I was getting with Verizon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Great, that may be an option for my daughter with her iPad 3. We got her one for Christmas, and I'm out of lines on my Verizon family share plan. Here in the KC metro area I am assuming that T-Mo would be just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.