Problems with web browser MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I am having trouble connecting to the internet. The wifi icon is connected, but my web browser won't connect to the internet. The web browser says "Can't find the web page". I have tried with several different networks, at different places, so the problem isn't the network that I am trying to connect to but something within my MacBook Pro. I checked the Apple help section, I checked the settings and they are all right. The help section also recommended me to upgrade the software if I have this problem, but the problem is that I can not do that since that requires an actual internet connection... which is my problem!

I would be grateful if anyone know the solution to this problem.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Matildah - welcome to the forum! :) You'll have to provide some more information: 1) MBPro specs (check HERE); and 2) Mac OS X. If you are connected to Wi-Fi, is only your browser misbehaving, i.e. can you retrieve mail, download apps, etc.? Can other devices connect to the internet on your home network?

You might provide details of your home network, e.g. type of modem & router being used.

Let's start there and hopefully your answers to these questions will help members provide more specific recommendations. Good luck - Dave

OP
M
Reaction score
Problem with connecting to the internet

Hi and Thank you! :)

Here is some more information:

Mac OS X Version 10.7.5
Processor 2.3GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4GB 1333MHz DDR3

I bought my McBook Pro in 2011.

The problem with the connection is not just the web browser, but also with downloading apps from App store etc.

The problem remains regardless of network, I have tried connecting to several ones but none works, so the problem seems to be the computer not the network. I am currently typing this from my brother's McBook Pro, and he can connect to the network that we are currently using without any problem. Everyone else here but me can connect to the current network, and other networks as well.

Thanks in advance for reply if anyone knows how to fix this!

Matilda

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again Matilda - thanks for the information! :)

Let me get you started (now I'm not a network expert - a retired physician) and hopefully some of our network gurus will comment w/ more specific help - but a few requests and additional comments:

1. Are the networks you are trying to access password protected, i.e. WEP, WPA, etc.? If so, have you setup your MBP w/ the proper password; also have you tried a 'public' network w/o security set (e.g. Wi-Fi hotspot like Starbucks)?

2. Open 'Network Utility' (just type in the name in Spotlight - right upper corner magnifying glass) and select 'Ping' - enter 127.0.0.1 (see my first attached pic) - do you get the same results, i.e. can you computer be pinged; if so, this implies that the network hardware and lower layers of the TCP/IP software are intact which is GOOD! If not, then your computer is likely the problem.

3. Using 'Ping' again, enter the URL (name or numeric number, if available) of your ISP and ping again - see my 2nd pic (my ISP is TW Road Runner) - if you receive the same returns, the implication is that your computer is communicating through the router and contacting your ISP - this is GOOD; if not, then the problem is likely w/ your router setup and/or ISP who you would need to contact.

4. Go into Applications > Utilities > Terminal (see my 3rd pic) - enter 'ifconfig -a' (w/o quotes; red arrow) - this will generate a long list (mainly understood by network experts); but do a screen capture (CMD-Shift-4) and post back to this thread - may help others in responding.

5. If you have other accounts on your computer (or if not set up another one) - log out of your account and into another one - see if the the network works.

Well I'll stop there - good luck and let us know! Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 10.22.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 10.23.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-01-04 at 10.39.52 AM.png

OP
M
Reaction score
It's amazing how much knowledge you have! I'm a construction engineer, but that doesn't help much when it comes to computer science :) I am completely lost in that field.

I can not believe this, I followed your recommendations, step by step. Finally, I created a separate account, and in that account I was able to connect to the internet! Amazing. When I got back to my account, all of a sudden, Internet worked there as well! After a month of non-working internet connection. I have NO idea what I did, but thanks a lot for your help! I really appreciate the guidance.

All the best//

Matilda

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great! I suspect setting up the other account corrected what was needed in the lower level TCP/IP protocols to work - but sometimes you never know w/ this network stuff! Dave

P.S. What did the 'pings' show initially? Just curious - :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.