Using OS 10.9.1 Word 2011 for Mac - Using Fields in Creating Templates

Reaction score
I am using the Developer tab to create documents. I am able to use all the options for fields while in the main doc. However, in the Footer area, I can’t insert a text box that will fill in Filename or Date. The options all are grayed out, except for Text Box. Many former answers no longer work (Use Format, Advanced, Insert Field). Does anyone know how to do this now?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved here to the proper forum: "OS X Apps........"

What you suggested should work but it's been so long since I've had to write a paper and use that function.... Also, that was several versions long gone.

If no one here answers your post with a solution, you might wish to ask the same thing on the Mac Office Word forum maintained by Microsoft on their server. The link to their forums is here.

OP
G
Reaction score
Dear Moderator,
Thank you for doing that. When you say "Also, that was several versions long gone.”, do you mean Word versions? This is Word:Mac 2011 ver. 14.3.9
Every time there’s an update, we lose something. It seems Mac is pointing us toward The Cloud…. I want to stay local.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, not the Mac versions of Word. When I was doing a paper at that time I was using a Windows version of Word - before I switched over to using a Mac. I still have Word 2010 (Windows version) from Windows Office 2010 which I no longer use. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. It may be best to check in with the Mac Word forum that I linked in my previous reply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.