Problem with pages - it's stuck

Reaction score
Hello,
I really hope someone can help me on this one since I need to use Pages and it is not working.
Whenever I open Pages some of my old documents pop up and then a box looking as if the program is trying to open something (think they might be called dialogue boxes). The problem is that the box is empty (without any message on what it is doing on my screen or what it is trying to open) and I can't remove it. Same goes for the documents, I can't close them. So I can do nothing except looking on the empty dialogue box.
First I tried to force quit but when I opened the program again the exact same box recurred. Then I tried to restart the computer, same result. Then I reinstalled the program with same result (!?).
So please someone tell me what to do. (I'm not very technical so me uninstall and reinstalling might have gone wrong).

M

MacInWin

what version of the OS? What version of Pages? What Mac? We need a bit more information to get you help.

OP
A
Reaction score
MacBook Air, OS X 10.8.5. Since Pages is not working I'm not able to access 'about pages' but I'm quite sure it is not the newest one.

M

MacInWin

Well, uninstalling and reinstalling is a pretty straightforward process, so that is one way to approach it. You said you had done that, but may have gone wrong. Do you have any reason to believe it went wrong? Error message? Any issues with the reinstall? Does it behave any differently now, after the reinstall, than it did before the reinstall?

Are you having any other issues with the MBA at all? Any other symptoms that MIGHT be related? Have you changed anything recently other than the reinstall of Pages? How did the problem first appear?

It does sound like it's missing something, but if a reinstall didn't recover whatever it's missing I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do next. All I can think if is to delete it completely and do a complete new installation of Pages. Do you have the original installation files/disk? (The challenge is that Apple has completely re-written Pages for OSX 10.9 (Mavericks), so I don't know if the older Pages is available in the Mac Store for download any more.) Perhaps someone else might know that answer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have the original installation files/disk? (The challenge is that Apple has completely re-written Pages for OSX 10.9 (Mavericks), so I don't know if the older Pages is available in the Mac Store for download any more.) Perhaps someone else might know that answer.

It's no longer available either from the Mac App store or from Apple direct. There are several places that still sell the older version but that means the OP would have to pay for it again.

OP
A
Reaction score
I simply take that the uninstall and reinstall went wrong because I didn't really know what I was doing and because I still have the exact same problem. I had no problem with reinstalling; everything seemed to work out fine. Could someone please tell me how to uninstall the correct way? Then I will try it once more - seems to be the best option.

I have no other problems with my computer. And I got Pages from App Store.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why don't you explain to us how you uninstalled Pages and reinstalled it? Pages is very easy to uninstall and reinstall.

OP
A
Reaction score
I simply draged it into trash and emptied trash and then installed the program again from App Store.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dragging it to the Trash should have worked. Pages does create some small files but those should not matter if they were left behind. There's something else going on if you're still having problems. For one thing, starting Pages should not activate any documents that were created by it nor open any dialog boxes that you described.

Are you also using Pages on an iPhone or an iPad? And if you are, do you have documents stored in iCloud?

OP
A
Reaction score
It seems wired to me that you can delete a program and then reinstall it and then still have the same problem.
I do not use Pages on any other device.
Can I contact Apple or App Store? I mean they sold me something that isn't working.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can certainly contact Apple via their technical help if you still have free telephone support for your Mac. Free telephone support is for 90 days from date of purchase unless you also bought Apple Care as that would extend the telephone support to 3 years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.