How to build new mac pro

Reaction score
I currently have Mid 2010 Mac Pro and was looking to upgrade to the new one which is smaller but I am not sure how I will set it up. I do photography but no video but I also want Windows on it through bootcamp so I can still play games. I use CS6 and LR for editing. Now do I get a thunderbolt ex hd for both mac os and win? This is where I get confused, I'm used to bays inside.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

Like the Retina MBP's the new Mac Pro comes with 256GB to 1TB of flash storage. If you want more storage, then your only choice is to grab an external HD, going with Thunderbolt is a good choice since it's going to be very fast..

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks but my question also is what about Windows? I know I'll install it on main ssd drive but will I need separate ex hd for software? I can run 1 for Mac or 2 and 1 for Win?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
A
Reaction score
Nick I didn't see anything about telling me how I can use the new Mac Pro and thunderbolt for Mac and Win. I know about bootcamp and have it now running Win 7. I have only had towers in the past and am not sure how the new Mac Pro works with it's SSD and external hd's. I hope I'm not confusing you as I am myself LOL

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess the bottom-line is that you if you get enough SSD storage, you can do it all with that. However, that's likely going to be very expensive so you'd probably want to go with the external storage. If you go with multiple external drives, you'd name it appropriately and can use them for Windows and OS X separately..

OP
A
Reaction score
So I would use the EX HD's the same way as Internal, Right now I have 3 for Mac and bootcamp is on one and 1 for Windows. Same thing just using EX HD's right? I will at the 1TB SSD and the rest EX. I should have asked this way in the beginning. I have EX HD's now but only use for image storage. thank you for helping me.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, that's pretty much it. The only downside of this new approach is that you can't create any RAIDs with your HD's like you could have with the older Mac Pro's..

Another thing is that you can remember which ExHD is for what and so on, but you already seem to be familiar with managing multiple HD's, so this would just be an extension of that..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.