New Mac Pro / firewire / 003 console

Reaction score
Here's a weird question for you... I'm wondering if it would be possible to run an Avid/Digidesign 003 console on the new Mac Pro. I realize that the Mac Pro doesn't have any firewire ports, but thought maybe a thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter might work.

I only have one Windows pc left in my house, and it's running my studio. I have a 2009 Mac Pro that I use for a file server, and it causes me no grief. However, the pc running studio software is nothing but instability and problems. I would love to pick up one of the new Mac Pros and dump the pc, but don't know if it will work with my studio hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Here's a weird question for you... I'm wondering if it would be possible to run an Avid/Digidesign 003 console on the new Mac Pro. I realize that the Mac Pro doesn't have any firewire ports, but thought maybe a thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter might work.

According to some discussions on Avid's support forums, an adapter will work perfectly fine.
DIGI 003 and thunderbolt? - Avid Pro Audio Community

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.