iMac OS X - playing movies

Reaction score
I have an iMac OS X but cannot play dvd movies on it. I am able to play music cds and download them to my iTunes and iPod but cannot play movies. When I put the dvd into the drive it sits there for about 20 seconds and just ejects. I have looked at my applications/utilities but there is no DVD Player option in there. Do I need to download a special app in order to play movies? Please could someone help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an iMac OS X but cannot play dvd movies on it. Do I need to download a special app in order to play movies? Please could someone help.

iMac's have been around since 1998...and some models did not even have DVD drives. Knowing what model iMac you have & what OS X version it is running will help.:)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi Nick,
My OS X is version 10.8.5 and it does have a disc drive. I remember when we first got the iMac we did watch a movie on it but now I have tried to do so again and it just doesn't work. As I mentioned, cds are ok and I am able to download them etc but all the movie dvds are just ejected. I have tried many different dvds as I believe they have to be marked "region 2" to play in the UK.
Linda

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The DVD Player would be in the Applications folder - not in the Utilities folder.
If it is not there, then it has been deleted.
Download VLC from here.

If that doesn't work, turn the computer off, take a can of compressed air and shoot about 3 quick blasts through the slot - wait for 30 seconds - turn it back on and try again.

OP
L
Reaction score
Many thanks. I have now downloaded the DVD and have it in my Applications folder but the dvds still won't play. They stay in the drive for about 20 seconds and then eject. I will get a can of compressed air and try that. Hopefully it will work.
Linda

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know what you mean by "have now downloaded the DVD and have it in my Applications folder".

Did you download and install VLC?
Did you then open VLC?
Then point VLC to the DVD you wish to play?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like a failed optical drive. often they will handle CD's but not DVD's. If not under warranty consider a cheap external such as a Samsung SE-208.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Sounds like a failed optical drive. often they will handle CD's but not DVD's. If not under warranty consider a cheap external such as a Samsung SE-208.

Hi Linda - welcome to the forum! :) Hope that the compressed air w/ help in your slot loader, but I believe that Harry might be correct. The laser wavelengths for CDs & DVDs are slightly different (Blu-ray much more - see quote below from HERE) - CD/DVD optical drives initially had two separate lasers, so if one went out the other might still work; now the newer CD/DVD/BD drives have 2 lasers, one a combo CD/DVD and the other for BD - not sure if your optical drive has 2 or 1 combined laser, but one can malfunction, so likely the explanation of your problem. Good luck - Dave

Initially, CD lasers with a wavelength of 780 nm were used, being within infrared range. For DVDs, the wavelength was reduced to 650 nm (red color), and the wavelength for Blu-ray Disc was reduced to 405 nm (violet color).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.