transfer all apps and data to a new MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Im contemplating buying a new MBP Retina. Is there a way to transfer everything (apps and data) from my old mbp to the new one? I'll be using the latest mavericks OS on both machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, if you are buying a new MBPro w/ Mavericks installed, then one option is to use Apple's Migration Assistant - the article will explain the process and what is transferred - let us know if this will serve your needs or if you want other suggestions. Good luck - Dave :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
On first boot of a new Mac - before you create a new user account - it will ask if you want to import from a backup or another computer - select yes - either select your current Time Machine backup, clone backup or your current Mac. You'll need to have whichever one you select connected to the new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On first boot of a new Mac - before you create a new user account - it will ask if you want to import from a backup or another computer - select yes - either select your current Time Machine backup, clone backup or your current Mac. You'll need to have whichever one you select connected to the new Mac.

Hi Bobtomay - just curious since I would have all three options suggested, would using Time Machine or a 'cloned' drive basically leave the Mavericks OS alone on the new computer and transfer the same information as the 'Migration Assistant' - thanks for any comments. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The advice given by bobtomay is best. As soon as you turn on that new MacBook Pro for the first time the Migration Assistant appears and asks if you wish to transfer data from another Mac. That's where you can select Time Machine, another Mac, etc. Just make sure you do not create an account on the new Mac before doing that or you will have a confusing mess to deal with.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As chscag states above - it is the migration assistant that is being used on first boot - only you won't know it as that - it's just a part of the set up program on a new Mac. (And actually, this capability is a part of the Setup Assistant of a clean install of OS X.)

Those that get a new Mac, pull it out of the box, can't wait for another hour or so to use it and go ahead and set up a user account so they can use it "now" - they would have to at some point later, manually open Migration Assistant to bring over their data.

Migration Assistant will not delete existing user accounts already set up on the machine. Which means that if they've been using that new Mac for some time, they'll likely have to deal with the hassles that can (will) be associated with then moving data to the user account they plan on keeping.

Not sure I would call it "leave the Mavericks OS alone" - it would be more analogous to doing an upgrade installation of the OS - when it's done - all your stuff is still there right where you left it, but it has a new OS. In the op's case - since both will be running the same OS, when done, the new computer should mirror the old, right down to the user accounts, login, apps, etc..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Bobtomay for the explanation above and the details provided - I'm sure that many new to making this migration will greatly appreciate your comments. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.