Preparing for clean install of Mavericks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
First of all, I have used the Search function for my answers, but nothing seems to quite fit what I would like to do. I am currently running Snow Leopard and my computer specs are under my avatar. I would like to create a Mavericks bootable USB flash drive. My intentions are to nuke and repave my hdd with a clean install of Mavericks AND all my apps. I do not want to install Mavericks over SL. Again, I desire a clean install of everything. I plan to continue to use Snow Leopard for some time because I need time to gather all my app disks and my codes for the downloaded apps. I just want to have the bootable Mavericks USB drive ready. I cannot use DiskMaker X 3 because DiskMaker X 3 uses createinstallmedia, it does not work under Snow Leopard. (The resulting installer drive will let you install Mavericks over Snow Leopard, but you can’t create the installer drive while booted into Snow Leopard.) I have TM back ups and Snow Leopard and all apps on a Carbon Copy Cloner drive. I am asking what is the best method to make this bootable USB drive for whenever I am ready to make the big move. I also intend to increase the RAM to 16GB before the installation...so that will take me some time to get the money for the RAM from OWC. I have already purchased the USB flash drive and formatted it and named it "Untitled"

Will I still need Fip4Mac with Mavericks? Is there something better now? What are your opinions of Java and Flash player running Mavericks?

I will have many more questions about the process, but this will get me started...thanks to you all in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Okay Dogbreath download Mavericks from the App Store, do not run the Installer. Go into the Application folder and you will see it there. Then follow this procedure to create the thumb drive. Back up Snow Leopard top say an external drive, boot from the USB thumb drive, go into utilities > Dosk utility and format the internal drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled), back to the Installer and run.

Update to OS X.9.1 and use Migration Assistant to transfer folder etc from the external drive you backed up to. Older PowerPC applications such as Office 2004 will not run on Mavericks. Usually Office and ASdobe applications require re-activation using the code after migrating.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/10/how-to-create-an-os-x-mavericks-usb-installation-drive/

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Thank you harryb . . .
I had already prepped the USB flash drive (formatted and "Untitiled"). I checked out the link you attached and watched the video several times. In the video, it shows the button under Mavericks as DOWNLOAD and talks about using Terminal commands...I can handle the Terminal commands. When I go to the App Store, the green button under Mavericks is Install App. At this time I only want to make the USB bootable drive for a clean install later...I do not wish to over write Snow Leopard at this time...I have too much more preparation to do first. Please advise and thanks again for the help. I am not as dense as i sound...I just want to do this right...and install later. If I click Install App now...wouldn't it do the actual installation?!?! Please help.

Screen shot 2014-01-01 at 5.00.52 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have a spare external hard drive? If so, you can do the following:

1. Format the external hard drive to Mac OS Extended Journaled (guid scheme).

2. Download Mavericks to your Mac Mini that already has Snow Leopard on it. The installer will download to your Applications folder. Make a copy of the installer and save it somewhere else such as in your documents folder.

3. Now double click the installer which is in your applications folder and direct it to install Mavericks on your spare external hard drive. That will make your spare external hard drive bootable. You can test it by booting your Mac Mini with it. After that, move the copy of the installer you copied to your documents folder to somewhere on the external hard drive that you can easily find.

4. Now when you're ready to install Mavericks to your Mac Mini, boot with the external hard drive, start the Mavericks installer and direct it to install to your Mac Mini.

I recently did exactly what I described above to do a clean install of Mavericks on to my 21.5" iMac.

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chscag . . .
I do have a spare ext hdd and your instructions seem quite easy to follow. That is the way I think I will go. Thanks again.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Excellent advice chscag. I may well follow this advice later this weekend. Tech Tool is reporting some bad blocks on the boot drive and I'm having some annoying issues where attempting to remove files from my network drive causes the Finder to report that the files are "in use" even when there is no reason for them to be in use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.