Flight sim games and Myst type games

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is any good flight sim games like Microsoft have for an iMac and also if there are any adventure type games such as Myst and Riven for my iMac.
Thanks
Dennis

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's a real nice Flight Simulator for the Mac called "X Plane". You can find more information about it here. As far as games such as Myst and Riven are concerned, I'll let some of our more enthusiastic gamers answer that part of your question.

OP
D
Reaction score
chscag thanks for the reply.
I did a google search and found an app in iTunes for Riven and paid the money to download it to my iMac.
Therein lies my problem. I also have an iPhone and whilst downloading Riven my iPhone made a different sound to any that I use for texts, emails etc. I thought it was odd but thought no more of it.
Now i have downloaded from the apps store before and I get a small blue line that appears above the launchpad icon showing how the download is going.
This time nothing appeared but the download I discovered it went to my iPhone via my home wifi. As the content of my iPhone appears on my iTunes account I was able to drag and drop the 1Gb file to my downloads.
With me so far ????????
Obviously the icon does not appear in launchpad so that I can play the game, but how can I get it there from my downloads in finder please ????
Obviously I am not the most computer literate person on here.
Thanks for any replies.
Dennis

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The apps in the iTunes store are for iOS - that is iPhone, iPad, iPod touch - they will not run in OS X which is used on your Mac.

The opposite goes for apps found in the Mac App Store (the App Store icon found in the dock). Those apps are for OS X (your Mac) and will not run in iOS (your iDevices).

Reaction score
For Riven go here: https://launchpad.net/rivenx
(assuming you have the original game for OS 9)
Xplane is great! There are loads of ancillary apps to go with it like: XHSI - home
Join the Xplane forums and download planes, scenery and other things.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you Bobtomay, I did not know that. I guess there is much to learn.

Thanks Craig, I used to use Riven on my Windows pc and obviously any windows stuff does not work on my iMac, therefore I do not have the original game for OS 9. My iMac has the latest operating system being only six months old.
Have tried the link you provided for Riven but cannot get that to work, beyond my limited Mac knowledge.
Will now look at the X plane for my iMac .
Regards
Dennis

Reaction score
I don't know if RivenX needs the application to run or not. If it just needs the data files it 'MIGHT' be able to use the PC game but don't count on it. Worth a try anyway.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks again Craig but.................I have no idea how to do what you are suggesting, a bit beyond me so I will have to give it a miss.

But thank you very much.

Regards

Dennis

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Adventure games have been out of vogue, even on the Windows side.
Haven't played one in awhile, but started out when they were all text based on the TI-99.
I reckon they're too mundane for the younger crowd that has to be pressing buttons constantly to feel like they're doing something.

Big Fish games has quite a few to choose from and is still making them. The wife plays some of these.

There are about 15 in the App Store - open that up, on the right side bar, change 'All Categories' to 'Games' and you'll find an Adventure Game selection there.

OP
D
Reaction score
Craig, thanks again for your link to Riven X. Someone else advised using my original Riven discs as the source which my iMac allowed and to my amazement it worked. So I can play this fascinating adventure again. Never did solve it many years ago.

Going to try X Plane now.

Does anyone know if any of the other Myst derivative games have a a download like Riven X that will make them work on a Mac as I still have most of them.

Reaction score
Didn't really expect it to work with the PC version but sometimes they surprise you.
Some games will, most wont. I cheated, after a few weeks playing I got the book :Mischievous:.
I Love Xplane! Still running 9 instead of 10 because I don't use it that much. Cant fly worth chit, especially landing but it's fun. If you're set up for it, multiple monitors are a trip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.