Why does the scroll bar disappear?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
I have a rMBP 13", late 2013... The perceived issue might be related to the lack of my knowledge about OSX, so, please be patient..

The issue that this laptop has, is that the scroll bar disappears in the application windows and does not come back when the mouse pointer moved to where the scroll bar should be. It could be any apps, all of them have the same issue. Scrolling up/down can be done via the up/down keys on the keyboard and doing so the scroll bar becomes visible. As soon as the arrow key released, the scroll bar disappears.

Is there a setting somewhere to make the scroll bar stationary?
TIA...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - General

several options there

Would suggest you take some time to open System Preferences and at least briefly go through each item and look at "all" the options available to you.

OP
Cr00zng
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Setting the scroll bar to "Always on" does keep it visiable. On the other hand when the "Automatically based on mouse or trackpad" set, default, it does not.

Oh well, I can live with that... Thanks for your quick help...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.