Can I delete my Mailbox File?

Reaction score
When I first got my Mac I used Mail for a little while, but now I always use Gmail in my browser directly. My hard drive is nearly full and I've been using What size to try and work out where my space has gone and I found out that under Library > Mail there's a 50GB folder called IMAP (my email address).

I went into Mail and removed my email account and also deleted the local copy of my mailbox but after closing mail this file is still there.

My question is - as I no longer use Mac Mail can I delete it, since it's taking up a lot of space, or will this cause other system issues???

Thanks

Franco

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I can't see anything wrong with Deleting Mail, then again, its not really a good idea to delete any System Apps. Why not go into Library>Mail and delete the 50GB folder ??

And its in ~/Library/Mail/ and you need to delete the v2 Folder. So when in Finder use Gtot Folder Shift>Command>G and paste
Code:
~/Library/Mail/
into it and then Delete the V2 Folder and that 50GB should go. But 50GB is one heck of a Mail Folder. Lots of Attachments ?? Anyways once done don't forget to Empty Trash.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks so much TattoedMac, that's done it!!

Really appreciate the help - and hope you have a great 2014!!

Franco

I can't see anything wrong with Deleting Mail, then again, its not really a good idea to delete any System Apps. Why not go into Library>Mail and delete the 50GB folder ??

And its in ~/Library/Mail/ and you need to delete the v2 Folder. So when in Finder use Gtot Folder Shift>Command>G and paste
Code:
~/Library/Mail/
into it and then Delete the V2 Folder and that 50GB should go. But 50GB is one heck of a Mail Folder. Lots of Attachments ?? Anyways once done don't forget to Empty Trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No worries mate, glad i could help, and back at ya for 2014 Its going to be a great year :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.