Macbook air screen faded after screen cleaning

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Air (13") from November 2011. I had no issues with the Notebook so far. After I cleaned the screen 2 weeks ago, with the usual screening solution, the screen faded after 5 minutes and never got back to normalcy. I can hardly see the screen and the refresh rate seems to have gotten slow. There is a delay in the screen becoming visible and appears finally as shown in the picture. I can see the traces of the mouse movement.

I let the notebook dry for 2 weeks now but to no avail. I have neither Apple warranty nor a guarantee plan.Has anyone come across this problem and any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward for any help. Thank you and wish you a happy new year to you all.

unnamed.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13-inch, Mid 2012
Did you spray cleaner directly on screen?? Some may have gotten into places it shouldn't have. Or maybe lose connection on board. If you have the ability use an external monitor and see if that works correctly.

Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a Macbook Air (13") from November 2011. I had no issues with the Notebook so far. After I cleaned the screen 2 weeks ago, with the usual screening solution, the screen faded after 5 minutes and never got back to normalcy. I can hardly see the screen and the refresh rate seems to have gotten slow. There is a delay in the screen becoming visible and appears finally as shown in the picture. I can see the traces of the mouse movement.

I let the notebook dry for 2 weeks now but to no avail. I have neither Apple warranty nor a guarantee plan.Has anyone come across this problem and any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward for any help. Thank you and wish you a happy new year to you all.

Hello & sorry for your problem - but first you must tell us about the 'usual screening solution' you used, how much was applied, and how was the application done, e.g. sprayer; also, what find of cloth was used?

For myself, I use only a lint free microfiber cloth (might put on a couple of drops of water) - this is the usual recommendation - please see Apple's recommendations for cleaning computer screens and warnings for what not to do quoted below - information from HERE.

I'm afraid that you may have damaged the screen and/or gotten some of the liquid into the computer - a visit to an Apple store is likely in your future unless others come up w/ other suggestions - good luck! Dave :)

Use only a soft, lint-free cloth. Abrasive cloths, towels, paper towels, and similar items may cause damage to the item.
Disconnect your Apple product from any external power sources.
Disconnect any external devices and other cabling from the product.
Keep liquids away from the product.
Don't get moisture into any openings, and don't use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives.
Do not spray cleaners directly onto the item.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds bad that 'usual screening solution'.

As RadDave says, trust it was not a spray bottle with a chemical solution. Slightly damp paper towel and micro fibre cloth the best advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.