Encryption

Reaction score
I have wasted hours and hours and HOURS trying to get encrypted email working on my iPhone. After a YEAR, I have finally managed it. It actually works!!!!!!!

I used the Keychain Access application to create a certificate for a certificate authority, shown in the attached images as "Company Name", as a self-signed root certificate. I got this on the phone as a profile, and it is "trusted". This cert can be used to sign other certs only.

Then I use the above cert to create as the issuing CA for a "leaf" certificate. This cert can be used to sign and encrypt emails. I got this installed on the phone as a "untrusted" profile. I do not understand this. The whole point of going the "own CA route" was to end up with something that I would be trusted. I tried the CA cert, and the CA issued the second cert, which should then be trusted since it was issued by a trusted CA. But it's not. And no amount of fooling around results in a cert that can be used to sign and encrypted emails which also shows up as "trusted" in the profiles.

Now, what I have WORKS - I can send and received signed and encrypted emails. But I'm baffled as to why cert #2 will not install as trusted.

1.png

2.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, at least you got it to work and that's something. If you ever figure out why Cert # 2 doesn't work, let us know. Anyway, good job getting it going.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.