Apple’s new ‘overpriced’ $10,000 Mac Pro is $2,000 cheaper than the equivalent Window

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Apple’s new ‘overpriced’ $10,000 Mac Pro is $2,000 cheaper than the equivalent Windows PC

According to Futurelooks, which has priced out each of the components in the Mac Pro, it would cost at least $11,500 (including a Windows 8 license) to build a Windows PC that is almost equivalent. Some parts cannot be matched like-for-like, as the Mac Pro features proprietary, custom-made logic boards, rather than off-the-shelf components. To build a top-end DIY PC that has almost equivalent specs to the $9,600 Mac Pro, you would need the following hardware: 12-core Intel Xeon E5-2697 V2 CPU ($2750), two AMD FirePro W9000 graphics cards ($3,400 each), Asus Rampage IV Gene micro ATX motherboard ($280), Silverstone FT03 and Strider 850W PSU ($360), 32GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM ($360), and two 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSDs ($450 each). Throw in a copy of Windows 8, and you’re looking at a total of $11,500.

And there you have it. For all those that complain and whinge, and say the New Mac Pro is overpriced, and i have said it before in other threads, for what the New Mac Pro is, you get you Bang For Buck !!!! EDIT : And i wouldn't be calling it "Overpriced" either now, actually i haven't ever. I have always thought the new Mac Pro is the best BFB in the Apple line up now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Amen, brother!

And may I add that after spending $11,500 you'd still have an inferior computer because it's still running Windows (and no virus protection).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's going to be a nicer machine than many including me first thought. I can never afford one but oh well!

Reaction score
Very nice machine. Just wandering how it will be used.

Scientific, Motion picture industry.

Would love to see it in action.

pvp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 256 GB SSD not retina xD
The price of the case is not included. Thats at least $150. If you plan on building a PC with the listed parts, there will be a demand for some serious cooling. I have actually been building a gaming PC because I cant afford to spend that much money on the new Mac Pro. If one was crazy enough to try to rival the new MP, they would need to spend around 12k like you said, except, the case would need to provide powerful cooling. Perhaps a Corsair Carbide 500R with a H100i Hydro Cooling system.

To be honest, I think that the new Mac Pro is a little much. Obviously some people need that power, but 99% of Apple customers do not. This Mac Pro will handle 4k video with great speed supposedly, but how many people do you know that need that.

To provide a fraction of the power of the MP, somebody could build a custom PC, and still have more than enough power. Plus it would most likely run Windows, and thus many more programs. I am currently building a gaming/streaming PC. Like I said, the MacPro is just too much for the average person.

If you need a significant amount of power, do not get the MacPro. Instead build a custom PC. It will be a lot easier on the wallet.

An alternative to the idea listed above by TattooedMac is as follows.

-Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 350D --- $109.99
-Mother Board: Asus Micro ATX (Socket 1155) --- $99.98
-Processor: Intel Core i5 4570 3.2GHz
-Graphics Card(s): (2x) EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2GB Superclocked --- $159.99 each
-Power Supply: Corsair AX 860i --- $229.99
-RAM: Corsair Dominator --- $172.41

Well the list goes on, but as you can see, to build a PC that is capable of doing really anything, can be a lot cheaper. For the average person, buying a MacPro is like using a nuke to kill a fly. It is not necessary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz | Mac Pro 5,1 Xeon Quad Core 2.8GHz
To my previous understanding, the former gen Mac Pros were competitively priced to their PC counterpart workstations, as well. Nice to see that the new higher-end model is even better in price differences :D
However, myself included for this new Mac Pro, I can't afford it nor do I need one lol.

As for those who lash out against the Pro for its price, or don't get the concept of the machine, I think we need to remember that it's a niche product, and if you're looking for a personal PC, you're looking in the wrong aisle. For the most part, workstations are used differently.

Workstations can take adv of using +4 core Xeons with hyperthreading, and possibly in dual CPU config. Xeons are made to run for longer periods of time with comparably lower heat dissipation and power consumption. The memory is reg ECC. Hardware is standardized and still expandable. All of this translates into higher stability and longevity with less error.

As for use of +4 cores, programs like Final Cut and Logic can easily utilize 8 cores AFAIK. And if anything, the Mac Pro isn't a gaming rig anyway. :) I've used the iMac and Mac Pros before for NMR spec, for example.
Before that, I never thought I'd touch one lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Its easy to assume at first glance that the Mac Pros are over priced. But once you start pricing each part, you realize its a good bargain. But were the Mac Pro fails at that a normal tower computer wouldn't have issues with is storage upgradability. This is were the older Mac Pros had no real issues with. But when you star configuring in a 4 disk RAID array for the tower computer and then a external 4 disk RAID system in cost. The Mac Pro starts costing just a little more in total system cost. (Promise 8 TB RAID array off Apples websites comes to mind, 6 disk unit costing way more in system cost..)..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
........ For the average person, buying a MacPro is like using a nuke to kill a fly. It is not necessary

It is very much so a Nuke. The average person doesn't need one. They are more of professional business line of computers for companies with specific needs.

I just hope they try to fill the large gap they have created in their computer lines. Because the Mac Mini & iMac desktops are really just glorified laptop computers with laptop performance. Apple really needs something with more "desktop" performance. Some argue the iMac is, lets be clear. No its not. It has a mobile CPU at clock speeds only about 2/3rds of the speed as a modern desktop CPU, even the "discrete" video is nothing more then a low end Mobile GPU. Thus they are laptops. Now Apple has a lot invested with Intel on improving iGPU performance. And I can see it getting better, but even the current Iris Pro 5000 series is plain crap. I would like to see Apple offer at least the top of the line Intel CPUs in their Mac Minis and iMacs..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.