How to backup Microsoft Office?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro running OS 10.9.1 that I bought in August of 2012. Today I've been experiencing a problem where an error message saying that Finder has quite unexpectedly repeatedly pops up upon startup. I called Apple about it; after restarting everything was fine, but they told me to back everything up in case it happens again because if it happens again I might have to wipe the computer clean and reinstall the operating system, which leads me to my actual question:

At the time I bought the computer, I was able to get a free version of Microsoft Office because my girlfriend at the time got a free download from her university so I was able to get a free version that way. I don't want to lose Office if I have to wipe the hard drive, but I also don't want to pay for it, so is there any way I can preserve the version I have?

If you have experienced the problem with Finder and have any suggestions regarding that I'd be would greatly appreciate it. Thanks everybody!

I asked this previously and it was closed due to a misunderstanding. Just to clarify, I am not asking for anyone to help me or suggest in any way anything that is remotely illegal. By saying "I don't want to pay," I am saying that I would like to keep the copy I have that I legally downloaded, not that I want somebody to help me illegally obtain a free copy. I did not obtain the current copy illegally and I am not asking for help in obtaining future copies illegally, I am asking if there are any ways to keep the current legal copy I have. Thank you, and I apologize for the previous misunderstanding.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You stated in your first post that you downloaded the copy from your girl friend's school which you are not a student at. MS Office was a free download for her, not you. So, in reality, you did not legally download it did you?

Regardless, without a legal serial number when it's moved you won't be able to activate it again. I know this is true because I recently moved my copy from one iMac to another and I had to activate it again with Microsoft. Activation requires that the serial number be entered.

There are free alternatives to MS Office: LibreOffice, OpenOffice, and if you recently purchased a new Mac, Apple will give you a copy of the latest iWork for free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.