Cleaning up my mackbook air

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am having a problem with my macbook air.
My memory is almost full and I am trying to clean up my computer so it can work faster, I've been deleting music, videos and pictures and even some programs I no longer need but all this don't seem to be enough in order to my computer work faster and every time I click on my apple icon > about this mac > more info > storage, it shows me that I almost don't have any GBs from music, pictures, videos or apps but I have a huge amount of "other" and I have no idea what that "other" could be.

Please, can anyone help me figuring out what is this "other" and what I am supposed to do in order to clean up that as well?

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am having a problem with my macbook air.
My memory is almost full and I am trying to clean up my computer so it can work faster, I've been deleting music, videos and pictures and even some programs I no longer need but all this don't seem to be enough in order to my computer work faster and every time I click on my apple icon > about this mac > more info > storage, it shows me that I almost don't have any GBs from music, pictures, videos or apps but I have a huge amount of "other" and I have no idea what that "other" could be......

Hi Venachi - welcome to the forum! :)

First, you will need to provide a LOT of information: 1) What Macbook Air do you own (model, year, etc.); 2) What OS are you running?; 3) Specs on your computer - RAM, HD size, how much space remaining; and 4) What have you done so far, i.e. what programs have you used to 'clean' your computer?

Second, before doing ANYTHING else, please respond to the questions above - Dave :)

OP
V
Reaction score
Hi Venachi - welcome to the forum! :)

First, you will need to provide a LOT of information: 1) What Macbook Air do you own (model, year, etc.); 2) What OS are you running?; 3) Specs on your computer - RAM, HD size, how much space remaining; and 4) What have you done so far, i.e. what programs have you used to 'clean' your computer?

Second, before doing ANYTHING else, please respond to the questions above - Dave :)

Thank you RadDave.

Answering your questions:

1) I don't know exactly the version my macbook but I bought it on black friday 2011

2) OS X (version 10.7.5)

3) Flash Storage (Macintosh HD) 60 GB and it remains 12.01 GB free, I'm not sure how to know how much of my RAM I have left.

4) I have the Microsoft office installed, I had realplayer and realplayer downloader installed but I deleted them, I had pretty much all the main adobe programs installed but they are all gone as well, but I did try to install photoshop Cs 5 from a website and I had to put some things on my terminal and that might have messed up my computer, but I have no idea how to fix this (if it actually damaged my computer)... ohh, and I installed probably 2 or 3 programs that were "photoshop replacers" when my PS trial expired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
1) I don't know exactly the version my macbook but I bought it on black friday 2011

Check HERE to obtain information of your MBA's model information.

3) Flash Storage (Macintosh HD) 60 GB and it remains 12.01 GB free, I'm not sure how to know how much of my RAM I have left.

Well, you certainly do not have much storage, i.e. 60 GB w/ not much 'free' - of course, you could consider replacing that SSD w/ a larger one? Concerning other information, just go to the Apple and select 'About this Mac' (now, I've not used OS 10.7 - came in @ 10.8 but assume that is still an option) - tell us about your RAM - more may also help?

Concerning the installed programs, you seem to have already done some 'cleaning' - may want to remove the redundant ones unless critical to your work? You might want to obtain WhatsizeMac as already suggested - will provide a lot of information on your SSD - maybe there are huge files that could be deleted?

As to 'cleaning' your computer, nearly all software options are best avoided - seems that Onyx is the only one recommended on this forum - if obtained, make sure that you DL the correct OS version. I'll stop there and let you proceed and then post back here w/ results and/or further questions. Good luck! Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.