New Mac Mini Owner

Reaction score
First Mac I've owned EVER (and I'm 51), but I broke down and went with the Mini...i7 Quad core 2.3Ghz, 8GB Ram, Fusion Drive...bought a nice CD/DVD Burner with Blu Ray reader (USB 3.0) and wondered what the best blu ray playback software would be for this. Any advice? Have this media center installed on my Samsung DLP HD 1080p HDTV...as my monitor, in my home theater/family room. Working fine...once I under scanned it to fit my 63" screen. So...any advice? I'm doing OK...just having to "unlearn" windows to do the Mac. Got the wireless keyboard and magic touchpad...both snapped into a Henge Docks Clique dock.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Too expensive Harry. $59.95 after the supposedly 58% reduction in price?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Still cheaper than that $10,000 Mac Pro you were after Charlie!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Harry, if I ever bought a Mac Pro for $10,000, you would have to rent me a spare room down there. ;P

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Harry, if I ever bought a Mac Pro for $10,000, you would have to rent me a spare room down there. ;P

"New South Texas"!;)

- Nick

C

chas_m

iDeer is listed now as $40, but I don't think much of any of the commercial Blu-ray software solutions that I've seen.

Give this a try, couldn't hurt might help: VLC Blu-Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
...any advice? I'm doing OK...just having to "unlearn" windows to do the Mac.

You've given yourself the best advice right there. The less you try to remake the Mac in the image of your Windows experience, the better off you'll be. When you're pounding your head on the desk wondering why "this isn't working they way I expected it to" that's the time to "unlearn" Windows and learn the Macintosh way.

OP
B
Reaction score
You've given yourself the best advice right there. The less you try to remake the Mac in the image of your Windows experience, the better off you'll be. When you're pounding your head on the desk wondering why "this isn't working they way I expected it to" that's the time to "unlearn" Windows and learn the Macintosh way.

I am well on my way after just one weekend with it. Fortunately, I'm also an experienced software developer and IT Architect, and I'm also planning on using it for developing IOS apps...I used to code Objective C back in the NeXT computing days. So far, so good, although, the "airplay" thing is confusing, and moving all my music from my PC to my Mac was an ORDEAL! I finally got a big ***** thumb drive, and simply imported it THAT way...I have nearly 10,000 songs, many of which are "ripped" from old (and by OLD, I mean CDs I bought back when CDs were brand spanking new!).

Anyway, I've mostly got things sorted out....my 63" Samsung DLP HDTV is the BEST monitor, and I get to sit in my Ekornes Stressless chair, and compute...and the Fusion drive is AMAZINGLY fast.

Downsides....the whole video codex crap that all the current OS folks are going through, is just STUPID...

I did get the after-market Blu-Ray, DVD/CD Burner...and it works FAMOUSLY with plain old CDs and DVDs...the blu ray is the kicker here.

Cheers,

Michael

C

chas_m

I'm not sure what you meant by "video codex crap" but if you haven't already, install Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian (both free) for your machine, and then QuickTime will play pretty much everything (mainly meaning web video format is no longer an issue). Perian is no longer supported sadly, I wish someone would pick up the ball on that one, but it continues to work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.