Upgrade to Mavericks from 10.6.8 - will I lose apps?

M_C

Reaction score
So if I do this upgrade from Version 10.6.8 will I loose any of the Applications that I already have ?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So if I do this upgrade from Version 10.6.8 will I loose any of the Applications that I already have ? Thanks

You won't lose any applications that are not PPC coded. Anything that has PPC code will not run; example: Office 2004. Snow Leopard is the last version of OS X that will run PPC coded apps. Lion, Mountain Lion, and now Mavericks will not.

Reaction score
I went from Lion to Mavericks with only a couple issues.

1) iTunes will not update out of the MAS. When I ask iTunes to check for updates, it says there is an update, sends me to the MAS, and the MAS does not update iTunes. (Perhaps forcing the update from the iTunes website would update iTunes?)

2) It took a few tries for me to get iMovie and iPhoto to update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

1) iTunes will not update out of the MAS. When I ask iTunes to check for updates, it says there is an update, sends me to the MAS, and the MAS does not update iTunes. (Perhaps forcing the update from the iTunes website would update iTunes?)

Ahh, interesting. I ran all updates before backing up and downloading Mavericks. I noticed one for iTunes but didn't see what the other 2 were. I'm just wondering aloud if updating all apps before updating OS is another solution.

Reaction score

Now that you mention it I did get a notice saying that there were updates available for iMovie and iPhoto and there was a bit of a hiccup with it but it worked out okay.I was too busy panicking over the mouse and volume issue:Confused:I checked on iTunes and it tells me that it is up to date- 11.1.2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.