iMac Fan Running Fast?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi All - bought an iMac (specs below) in April of this year - used mainly by my wife - she came out this morning and said the computer was noisy. On inspection, the noise was a fast fan (never happened before) - I first did a Time Machine BU and cloned the HD w/ CCC.

Then I simply shutdown & powered back up - no noise. iStats reported the fan @ 3400 rpm when noisy, now running @ 1400 rpm (temp about 80 degrees F). I was planning to reset the SMC if the noise returned, but seems fine @ the moment. Any other advice, checks, etc.? Thanks - Dave

iMac 21.5" display
OS X 10.9.1
2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650 M 512 MB
Fusion Drive 1 TB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reference the Apple article: Who in world pushes the power button on at the same time while plugging the AC power cord in to the receptacle?

@Dave

Did you buy Apple care for the iMac? If not, might be a good time to do so before the one year warranty is up on that machine.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Reference the Apple article: Who in world pushes the power button on at the same time while plugging the AC power cord in to the receptacle?

@Dave

Did you buy Apple care for the iMac? If not, might be a good time to do so before the one year warranty is up on that machine.

Hi Harry & Chscag - thanks for your comments! Not to worry, I do have Apple Care and bought locally at a MacAuthority store in the mall.

Also I was reviewing information on resetting the SMC, and for an Intel-based iMac (directions quoted below), a little simpler than trying to bring Frankenstein to life - ;D

Dave

Shut down the computer.
Unplug the computer's power cord.
Wait fifteen seconds.
Attach the computer's power cord.
Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.