Happy Birthday

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Mini with LG Flatron 20" widescreen LCD
This may help anyone trying to decide about switching.

When I was thinking about switching from windows based machines to an Imac G5, which took almost a year of trying to decide whether to do it or not., I eventually made the switch in March of 2005.
The main reason why I waited so long was I was trying to find out if the Mac would do everything that I needed it to do, I.E Web design, word processing, Email, Digital photography and listening to music and watching Dvd’s plus a few other things. I did draw up a list of how much the software would cost me and took that into consideration as well as the purchase price of the Imac.

Like many people who post on here trying to decide what to do, that was me about one and a half years ago, because I did not know anything about Macs at all. I read all I could read, and visiting local computer shops to actually just play with a machine even if it was just for a few minutes at a time, and the hours I spent on the internet gathering information, well I lost count and even started to get some mac magazines from where I could.

So I eventually went down to the local store, cash in hand and purchased my Imac G5, as well as some bits of software that I wanted. My best mate came with me and called me an idiot for buying “one of those things”. We went home and plugged it in and started to learn Mac OSX which to be honest did not take all that long to get to grips with the basic ideas, so you can actually use it, and to this day I am still finding things out that I did not know.

Since switching which has now been almost a year, I have had some issues with certain software, which happened to be Microsoft Office, but to be honest coming from a windows machine was used to Microsoft software causing problems. The OS has never let me down and has not crashed once, it just works and that’s good enough for me.

So for anybody that is nervous about switching I hope that this post sheds some light and helps you decide, I did not regret it and “ Happy Birthday Imac G5 “

And yes my best mate who called me an idiot for buying “ one of those things “ is now a proud owner of an Imac as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
congratulations...
always nice to read a nice switcher story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
I forgot how nervous it is to switch. Good story and I'm glad you stuck to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.