New Mac Pro very Upgradable!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I love this statement from the article:

That’s great news, because right now, the CPU inside the Mac Pro is one of the biggest contributiros to its price fluctuations: in fact, depending on what CPU you choose, your Mac Pro can cost up to $3,500 more than the stock configuration.

So Dennis, when are you getting yours? :$

OP
dtravis7

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Um, when some kind friend buys me one! :D Grin

Any takers? :D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you find any takers let me know. I want in on that deal.

OWC's info is usually accurate so the fact that the processor can be changed is good news. From the photos I've seen though it looks like most users would not be comfortable doing the work themselves. It's good that this can be done but it will be a while before we know how widely used this will be.

OP
dtravis7

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sly agree on all counts!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Simple guys. Just put your Moderator's salary towards one! You will have the top of the line model - in a decade or two!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simple guys. Just put your Moderator's salary towards one! You will have the top of the line model - in a decade or two!!

As one of the newer mod (and presumably pretty low on the totem pole) it might take me a bit longer than that.

Now if my friends would pay their fee for associating with the "center of the known universe" (me) I'd be set in no time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The problem be Sly you is off-centre my boy!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem be Sly you is off-centre my boy!

That's what they keep telling me. I choose to belief that they are merely trying to avoid paying their faire share of the fee. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz | Mac Pro 5,1 Xeon Quad Core 2.8GHz
Pardon if I'm missing a detail, but the 2009-2012 Mac Pro seems like it's relatively an easy upgrade
2010 6 core 3.33 Mac Pro (time lapse) - YouTube

As for getting the new sleek Mac Pro, maybe we can do a $5-$50 donation per user until we reach $3K, then I personally can do a… ahem, fair raffle for the mac-forums community. ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Pardon if I'm missing a detail, but the 2009-2012 Mac Pro seems like it's relatively an easy upgrade...

Because this procedure is not very common...the most difficult part is the research (identifying the proper cpu's for the upgrading)...and paying for the faster cpu's.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I thought this might interest a few here. Appears you can even change the CPU's in the new Darth Vader Mac Pro!

User Upgradeable Everything: The New Mac Pro Is The Most Future Proof Mac Ever | Cult of Mac

While I'm glad the CPU is socketed so that it can be changed out, the benefit of doing so as an upgrade is dubious at best. Generally, to see a substantial performance improvement, you either need to greatly increase the clock rate, or move to a newer generation.

Of course, clock rates have been pretty static for the past 5 years or so, with most differences within the same processor family being just a few hundred MHz. And changing processor architectures usually requires a new chipset.

So, though it's good the CPU and RAM aren't soldered fast, I'm still concerned about the lack of internal expansion, ability to add mass storage at a reasonable price and the inability to upgrade the video cards. If it had to be this way for any reason other than aesthetics, I would be a bit more accepting - unfortunately, this is just another example of Apple sacrificing significant functionality in the name of form. Unfortunately, that seems to be occurring more and more frequently these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz | Mac Pro 5,1 Xeon Quad Core 2.8GHz
So, though it's good the CPU and RAM aren't soldered fast, I'm still concerned about the lack of internal expansion, ability to add mass storage at a reasonable price and the inability to upgrade the video cards. If it had to be this way for any reason other than aesthetics, I would be a bit more accepting - unfortunately, this is just another example of Apple sacrificing significant functionality in the name of form. Unfortunately, that seems to be occurring more and more frequently these days.

Yeah, disappointed in the video upgradability, too. I don't think I was personally ready to see the traditional expandable tower dropped so abruptly, possibly just so they can go with their triangle-looking single cooling idea. To think of all the wires coming out of the new Mac Pro and toward the ext storage wouldn't be the best sight either.

On the other hand, I read over somewhere that Apple's idea behind the new design was one of a dispensable Mac Pro with less focus on expansion. As in, when the Late 2013 becomes dated for some particular users, they're supposed to just replace them with newer Mac Pros altogether. Haven't really thought much of this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Um, when some kind friend buys me one! :D Grin Any takers? :D

If you find any takers let me know. I want in on that deal

Sly agree on all counts!

I can feel a Time Share coming on. I have the $ now, ill start taking PayPal donations as soon as i have it. First come first served. Ill write up the contract and it will be a Month about. You will need to book at least 6 months in advance too (that give me 6 months to play with it :p) and then whoever is next in the list, takes care of shipping to their address . . . .

So
  1. Brent
  2. Dennis
  3. Sly
  4. ??

As for the article, and what i posted yesterday, it seems this Mac Pro is becoming a better machine for the $ than a LOT of people 1st thought. People cried foul, "Im never getting one because it can't be upgraded" Well. Eat my shorts !!!!!

Its very tempting i do say so, but i would never ever need that sought of power, but would look nice sitting under my 47" LG LED HDTV with a Bluetooth Keyboard and Trackpad connected with a Magic Wand . . . . I would be in heaven O:)O:)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd probably never need that much power either. The beauty of that though is that if you can swing a beast of a machine you're likely to run it for several years before it slows to the point of needing to be replaced. This assumes, of course, that the technology in question catches on. Otherwise you're left with a very powerful machine that becomes a doorstop when it's time to unload it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the link Dennis. I have made it through about 2/3 of the review so far. Lots of info to digest there. Looks like the memory will be easier to upgrade than I thought based on some of the initial reports.

There are many things I like about this machine but for what I do most of the time something in the Haswell family of processors would probably be a better choice. Oh well, unless my MB Pro blows up sometime soon I won't be making that decision for a while.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.