New Hard drive not showing up in diskutil list

Reaction score
Hey all. I am trying to change out my hard drive on my macbook pro A1278. I replaced it with a 500gb WD blue. When I installed the hard drive and ran macosx install disc, then went to disk utility, the hard drive does not even show up. I also tried running diskutil list in a command line and that showed no results as well. When I plug in my old corrupt hard drive it shows up in disk utility. However this new one does not. Also I tried plugging in another hard drive that I had partitioned with a windows computer and that did not show up as well. Only the one that came with the computer. I have no clue what to do. Any help would be awesome. Thank you guys in advanced.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may have a damaged SATA cable which connects the hard drive to the connector on the logic board. It is strange though that your old hard drive shows up but two others don't. I would change that cable either way considering it's been in your machine for quite a while heating up and probably has become brittle.

OP
I
Reaction score
The replacement cable actually just came in today. Installed it and the same. Works on my old but not the two Western Digitals that I tried putting in. I find this to be very strange.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try this instead: Format the WD first using either an adapter or external USB carrier if you have one handy. Install it and if Disk Utility still can't see the drive after that, you may have a DOA drive.

OP
I
Reaction score
Okay so here is the update. I have placed my hd into a windows computer. I booted from an Ubuntu USB disk. It read the HD perfectly and I was able to create and view partitions as well. After partitioning I placed it back into the mac and the mac still did not read the drive. So being that the other computer read the HD it is not DOA. Being that the HD cable read the old hard drive perfectly I do not have a bad cable... so I am confused and I don't know the next step to take. Any advice?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would seem we're at a dead end with that drive. I've used a WD Blue drive before as a replacement for an older drive in my MacBook and it worked perfectly. I would return the drive and get a replacement anyway or just return it and try a different drive. I really don't know what else you can do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.