Can't play MIDI files

Reaction score
I have a Mac OS 10.7.5.

I cannot play MIDI files -- I've downloaded Quicktime 7 into Applications/Utility folder, but still -- NOTHING! I'm a novice at this… can anyone walk me through this please?? Thank you!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Eperon - welcome to the the forum! :)

Not sure that I can help and would be curious myself on how to play MIDI files on a Mac - but the native Quick Time Player does not seem to support the audio format (see chart below from HERE); also I just took a look @ Quick Time on my MBPro (OS 10.9.1) and there is no help information on Midi nor a selection to add some type of plugin.

Now there are a number of MIDI players offered in the MAS (Mac App Store) and I'm sure a number doing an online search that may not be in the store. Hopefully others w/ more experience will 'chime in' w/ some suggestions - I've only used MIDI on an older PC for my wife's keyboard. Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2013-12-29 at 12.15.03 PM.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Interesting. I have many MIDI files on my old web page that I made back in the day and they all play fine in older Quicktime 7 here. Some sound a bit different than on a Windows system because the Midi sounds are a bit different but they still sound ok. I am quite sure my friends Midi's that he makes play here also. Will check that later and report back. Not sure what is going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. I have many MIDI files on my old web page that I made back in the day and they all play fine in older Quicktime 7 here. Some sound a bit different than on a Windows system because the Midi sounds are a bit different but they still sound ok. I am quite sure my friends Midi's that he makes play here also. Will check that later and report back. Not sure what is going on.

Hi Denis - I'll be curious - my Quick Time app states version 10.3 (727.1); I downloaded a Midi file and it would not run on the QT player and I cannot find a menu option for plug-ins. Dave :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just a quick note to Dave, I am using older Quicktime 7. You can still get it and use it in Mavericks. I don't think QT10 will play my Midis. I am looking for my friends files. Will report back.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok this is what I tried and found out. My friend is busy and I could not find his files so I found a page with free Midi's for download. I had to use Firefox as Safari opens a player window and saving just saves Web Archive and not the true Midi file. I pasted the URL to one in Firefox and it played so saved it to my desktop and it's a true Midi file.

Clicked on it and QuickTime 7 Opened. Not sure what version of OSX the OP and Dave are running but if its newer than Snow Leopard, QT7 might not be there. You can still download QT 7 from Apple. I had to with Mavericks as the new QT in Mavericks broke Perian and a few other codecs. They still run fine with QT7. Also I use QT Pro which does not work with newer Quicktime either.

Give it a try and see if you can then play your Midi's. Here is a URL to the Midi I grabbed for the test. I repeat, use Firefox and save it from the file menu. Safari will not save the Midi file.

http://www.midiworld.com/midis/other/c1/troto.mid

Reaction score
Just tried it. QT 7 played it just fine
QT (the new one) cant play it.
Flip Player (comes with Flip4Mac) plays it.
VLC cant play it. Odd.
Won't play in Finder preview (really didn't expect it to).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Guys - I'm updated to the most recent Mavericks OS & Quick Time - seems that the MIDI files have been eliminated as an option? Now, I don't need the MIDI player but just trying to help our OP on this subject. Dave :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave, did you read Mine and Craigs post?

I will find you a url to Quicktime 7. Install that. New quicktime will still work, but in QT7 you can not only play Midi's but use Perian and Flip4Mac like before Mavericks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here you go Dave!

QuickTime Player 7 for Mac OS X v10.6.3 or later

No matter what that says it will run fine in Mountain Lion or Mavericks. I use it in both.

You will also notice Mavericks QT will not support Perian and play FLV and some other videos. With QT7 all that will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave, did you read Mine and Craigs post?

I will find you a url to Quicktime 7. Install that. New quicktime will still work, but in QT7 you can not only play Midi's but use Perian and Flip4Mac like before Mavericks.

Hi Denis - yes, I looked @ both of the threads before replying - I just don't need a MIDI player so was not interested in the app for myself but just trying to help our OP to play his/her files - I hope that your excellent advice will help. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I have a Mac OS 10.7.5.

I cannot play MIDI files -- I've downloaded Quicktime 7 into Applications/Utility folder, but still -- NOTHING! I'm a novice at this… can anyone walk me through this please?? Thank you!!

If you have WavePad you can convert Midi files to mp3. You can then import them to iTunes and convert to AAC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Sorry sent in error

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.