blu-ray on iMac

Reaction score
I have a 2009 21.5 iMac,I want to add a external blu-ray drive to this. I want to be able to play a Bd on my desktop. I have downloaded the VUDU To Go app. want to use their disc to digital program. Thank You.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I want a lot of things also, but what are you asking? Perhaps look into purchasing an external blue ray players. Perhaps one that is compatible with your Firewire if the USB is to slow or maxed out. You best information is to look on apples website to see if they have a blue ray drive or brows the internets for a brand and model that is OSX and compatible with your iMac. I assume this is what your asking.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best place to buy an external Blue Ray player is from Other World Computing. You can look over what they have here. You'll also need software to burn Blue Ray disks. Roxio Toast is generally what we recommend.

OP
P
Reaction score
Just want play the blu-ray on my mac. I was told to use the Pioneer BDR-XD05w because it works well with mac. Also told to get the MacGo software. Not tech Savvy at all that's why I'm asking. Thank You.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Think that is a typo. He probably meant "getting on" in the sense that it's an older machine. The USB ports are probably USB 2 and you would likely get better performance from Firewire of that is an option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Should read 'getting on' i.e.old. Hence the FW800 suggestion as your iMac does not have the faster USB3.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.