iMac USB issues

Reaction score
Hi there, I am currently experiencing an error MSG that says, " one or more USB inputs are drawing too much power" so what ends up happening is that it won't charge my iphone/ipad ect,does anyone have an idea about this MSG?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You shouldn't be charging your iPhone or iPad from your iMac. Even though your iMac (you didn't mention which model you have) can sustain a fairly heavy current load through its USB ports, an iPhone and iPad can easily overtax the ports. Use the charger that came with your device or buy a wall charger.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What USB devices are plugged in at the time this message appears? In my experience this message generally means that one of the attached devices is having issues and drawing too much power.

It may take several attempts of connecting and reconnecting devices to determine which of them is drawing too much power.

Edit: Good catch my friend. I didn't notice that when I read the original post. I've charged both iPads and iPhones from the computer once in a while but not as a regular occurrence. My 2008 MacBook Pro hasn't complained but I think some models are more sensitive about that than others. I also usually, but not always, use a powered hub when connecting those things to my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi there, I am currently experiencing an error MSG that says, " one or more USB inputs are drawing too much power" so what ends up happening is that it won't charge my iphone/ipad ect,does anyone have an idea about this MSG?

Hi Baker101 - welcome to the forum! :)

You've already received great advice about your issue above - not sure which computer you own nor which USB standards are installed, i.e. USB 2.0 or 3.0 - but take a look at the chart attached from HERE; if you are using USB 2.0 ports, then only 2.5 W of power is provided - an iPhone requires 5 W (i.e. 5 V x 1 amp) and an iPad at least 10 W (5 V x 2 amp or slightly higher amperage on the newer models). Now these devices might charge slower as if using a 'trickle' charge but as already suggested use the designated charger (or equivalent) that came w/ your iDevice(s).

Now, one other suggestion is to try a different USB cable at least w/ the iPhone - a defective cable will draw more current. Let us know if this helps. Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2013-12-29 at 12.44.47 PM.png

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Thank you for your input, just to clarify a few things. When we upload our photos(which it won't do now) it automatically charges, equally when we sync the same thing happens. I will try to sort it out going by your advice/suggestions and will see how we get on.
Regards
Lyndon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.