iPad 4 vs iPad Air

Reaction score
I'm looking to finally get an iPad and trying to decide between a refurbished iPad 4 and an Air. I can get a bit more for my money with the 4 but wonder if it's worth it to just upgrade to the Air. Thoughts?

C

chas_m

Summary: iPad Air has better graphics, is WAY faster and most importantly lighter and thinner. Apart from the iPad 4 being a little cheaper, the iPad Air is in every possible way better than the iPad 4.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Summary: iPad Air has better graphics, is WAY faster and most importantly lighter and thinner. Apart from the iPad 4 being a little cheaper, the iPad Air is in every possible way better than the iPad 4.

The iPad Air is currently the "Six Million Dollar Man" of iPads!!;)

BETTER...STRONGER...FASTER!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
Since I saw the iPad Air on Apple's site, I knew I wanted one, though I have to wait awhile. While I wait, I've been reading and comparing. I still want it. When I get it, I'll let everyone know how much I love it. :D

About 4 years ago, I saw a tablet for the first time; didn't know what it was called, but I did get to try it out. It was amazing! Many years before that, I envisioned a very similar device. I never thought it could do what it did. When I saw what Apple has, since getting my MBP, I knew it'd be Quality, so I know I'll love it. It's worth saving for!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'll throw in a kicker . . . the Retina Mini iPad. I have both the Mini and iPad Air, and love both. But, if I had to choose only one, it would be the Mini hands down.

C

chas_m

The OP might be saying that for around the same money he can get an iPad fourth-gen with much more capacity than with the iPad Air, and that's certainly a consideration. I love my (third-gen) iPad and don't have to deal with the weight issue all that often, but if there was an iPad Air in the house I know I would never use the heavier iPad again. :)

It all comes down to what's the most important aspect. Lots of storage is nice, but with a little management its not that important. To me, at least, faster/better/lighter/cures cancer is better than a little extra storage, but that's for my needs. Only you can say in your own case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.