Problem: repair disk permission and windows damaged

Reaction score
I click on repair disk permission in disk utilities for my bootcamp drive and now i cant access my windows 8.
This drive there isn't in start up and when i set my boot drive to this and restart, after about one minute appear this in a black screen: this drive is not bootable!
Now what i have to do? Please help me : (

Reaction score
Do you have any important files on the windows 8. As you may have removed the boot up.

OP
H
Reaction score
I have important program such as catia
And i had very good boot camp and windows without any problems, i love it ; (
I want to bring back my own windows and hope it's possible!
--
I now can read my windows drive in macintosh and copy it to external memory!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Just to make sure I am understanding correctly do you mean that you tried to use the Mac Disk Utility in OS X to repair your Bootcamp partition?

OP
H
Reaction score
Just to make sure I am understanding correctly do you mean that you tried to use the Mac Disk Utility in OS X to repair your Bootcamp partition?
Yes
I use this and click on repair disk permissions and my problem started!
Now i cant do anything with my boot camp drive in disk utility! I can just change my boot disk
Windows dose not boot! An error appear : this is not bootable drive' please insert disk and press any key!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was afraid that was what happened. My understanding is that the Repair Disk and Repair Permissions functions were not intended to be used on the Bootcamp partition. As far as the computer is concerned that part of the drive is a Windows disk and should be fixed by Windows-based utilities.

As far as I know the only real solution is to erase the Windows partition and recreate it by following the same steps used to create it in the first place. I would wait for others more fluent in Windows troubleshooting before doing that though there may be another solution.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to repair the Windows 8 boot sector which you destroyed by repairing disk permissions from OS X. Never use Disk Utility to do anything to Windows since Disk Utility does not understand Windows. It's only designed to work with OS X.

How to repair Windows 8

Make sure you read the entire thread and then follow directions. If that doesn't work, you may need to reinstall Windows 8.

OP
H
Reaction score
I was afraid that was what happened. My understanding is that the Repair Disk and Repair Permissions functions were not intended to be used on the Bootcamp partition. As far as the computer is concerned that part of the drive is a Windows disk and should be fixed by Windows-based utilities.

As far as I know the only real solution is to erase the Windows partition and recreate it by following the same steps used to create it in the first place. I would wait for others more fluent in Windows troubleshooting before doing that though there may be another solution.
How to erase it? Erase by disk utility?
I don't know how to create new windows drive!
Can i write my imessage address here? Isn't it against macforoum's law?

OP
H
Reaction score
You need to repair the Windows 8 boot sector which you destroyed by repairing disk permissions from OS X. Never use Disk Utility to do anything to Windows since Disk Utility does not understand Windows. It's only designed to work with OS X.

How to repair Windows 8

Make sure you read the entire thread and then follow directions. If that doesn't work, you may need to reinstall Windows 8.
I cant repair my win8 now
I cant write on my bootcamp drive!
I have a very big problem, when windows DVD boots and i want to repair or instal i face to a locked drive!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First I would suggest trying the method that chscag linked to in his post. That might fix things. If that does not work then it's time to delete the partition. This can be done through the Boot Camp Utility or through Disk Utility. I have included links to both but using the Boot Camp utility seems safer.

Remove Bootcamp Partition Using Boot Camp Utility

How to remove your windows bootcamp partition (PROPERLY) using Disk Utility

Edit: Just re-read your post. Things might be damaged beyond a repair. If thats the case proceed to deleting the partition.

OP
H
Reaction score
First I would suggest trying the method that chscag linked to in his post. That might fix things. If that does not work then it's time to delete the partition. This can be done through the Boot Camp Utility or through Disk Utility. I have included links to both but using the Boot Camp utility seems safer.

Remove Bootcamp Partition Using Boot Camp Utility

How to remove your windows bootcamp partition (PROPERLY) using Disk Utility

Edit: Just re-read your post. Things might be damaged beyond a repair. If thats the case proceed to deleting the partition.
Real thanks to you

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. If you need to re-create the Windows partition you can do so by running the Bootcamp utility and basically starting from scratch. The on screen directions are pretty good but I found it helpful to print the directions so I could read through as I was following them.

I believe the current version either needs a Windows 7 or 8 install disc, thumb drive etc. to work. The OEM discs that come with most PCs won't work because they are very specific about the range of hardware they were designed to run on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.