Remote desktop access from Macbook Air

Reaction score
I am trying to remotely access my windows PC at work from my macbook air. How do I do that? I know that the work PC is configured to accept remote access. What do I need to do on this end?

OP
D
Reaction score
I neglected to mention that I am in Canada. I can't seem to get this app in the Canadian store. Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try CORd, it's a free download and should work even better than the MS RD application. Download from here.

OP
D
Reaction score
So I think I downloaded Cord. (I'm new at this Mac thing, only have it 2 days...) Now what do I do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're new to the Mac platform, perhaps you should learn Mac OS X before deciding on using a remote desktop application? Since Cord is free and open source, there's really not much formal help available but what there is, you can find on their support site here.

OP
D
Reaction score
I need to be able to access my work computer from home. That's why I need the Cord. I'm just not sure that I actually downloaded anything when I tried to download Cord since the file looks empty. The icon is now at the bottom of my screen, but if I click on it, it is empty. Is that the way it is supposed to be?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I need to be able to access my work computer from home. That's why I need the Cord. I'm just not sure that I actually downloaded anything when I tried to download Cord since the file looks empty. The icon is now at the bottom of my screen, but if I click on it, it is empty. Is that the way it is supposed to be?

That "bottom of the screen" area is called the "Dock". The icons in the dock are just aliases of programs. If you click on the "alias" in the dock for this program...and nothing happens...then that program is probably no longer located on your hard drive. And if this is the case...just drag the "alias icon" of this program out/off of the dock by just clicking & dragging it out of the dock.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you Nick,
Could you please tell me how to download a program onto my new Mac? I feel like such an idiot. I pretty much knew how to do this kind of stuff on my old PC but the Mac is all different...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you Nick,
Could you please tell me how to download a program onto my new Mac? I feel like such an idiot. I pretty much knew how to do this kind of stuff on my old PC but the Mac is all different...

It's really not much different:

- You visit the website that you wish to download the program from.
- You download the program.
- You go to the "downloads" folder on your hard drive.
- Double-click on the file/program you downloaded.
- This will launch the installer for the program.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you all. I managed to download Cord. I can see that it is working. You won't believe this, my office computer password expired so I can't get in!!! This is beyond frustrating!!!!! But at least it is on their end, and now I will be able to work from my new Mac!!! Yay!! So once again, thank you all for all your help.

Deena

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.