Alias files and burn folders problem

Reaction score
Hi Folks:
I'm using two macs: MacBookPro/OS X 10.4.11 and an IMAC/OS X 10.6.8.
I can no longer burn a CD on either of these computers. I create a burn folder, drag and drop the .JPG photo files to the folder, but get an alias attachment to each file. My Macs will not burn the CD and I get a message saying "The alias (name of file) can't be opened because the original item can't be found."
Did Mac try to fix something that was not broken? How do I burn a CD now?
Thanks.
Russ

Reaction score
Are you sure you're not dragging an alias to the file into the folder? Can you open one of the files in Preview before dragging it?

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Craig,
Yes, I can open all the files in Preview before dragging them and they all say ".jpg image"

Reaction score
And they all show up as aliases? Where are you dragging them from?

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Craig,
Thanks for your response. Yes, they all show up as aliases. I took the photos, photoshopped them and saved them to a jump drive; then, I created a burn folder and dragged and dropped them from the jump drive to the burn folder where they all appear as alias. I never had this problem before.
Russ

Reaction score
Sorry, been gone all day.
Tried it myself and dragging from a flash drive does create an alias instead of copying. Assuming you eject the flash drive before burning naturally it cant fine the original.
Try dragging to a regular folder. It will copy. Then use something like Burn to burn to cd/dvd.
Burn - Home

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Craig,
Once again, thanks for your response, it certainly is appreciated.
I tried your suggestion: created a folder > moved some .jpg files to it > then created a new burn folder and moved the files from the first folder to the burn folder and the burn folder files are all aliases.
Russ

Reaction score
It''s not necessary to make a burn folder. You can use the program I mentioned above or you can just right-click on the folder and select 'Burn "foldername" to disk'.
Evidently 'burn folders' only accept aliases of whatever you put in there.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Craig,
Thanks a million! I selected the files then burned them and it worked! It really is a shame "burn folder" no longer works - it did for years. I guess Mac decided to fix what was not broken.
Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
Russ

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.