Strange occurance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I was looking at another forum I'm on and this came up. Any ideas folks please? If so I will refer the poster across to here..

"I had a really wierd experience yesterday. I was on my iMac and had safari up looking for carpet tiles. It was about the sixth site that I clicked on when all of a sudden the screen changed and it was filled with a police web site, and then a box came up stating that I had been caught and all my files had been encrypted. It then accused me of downloading illegal content such as music, films and more unpleasant things. I could not get rid of it. I tried everything I knew. I e-mailed a very good friend and he came up with the solution and once again I can use safari.

I feel this was a scam as it was headed metropolitan police serious crime unit and then below that it said, issued by Cheshire police. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but it was quite scary at first. I was under the impression that iMacs were immune to viruses and scams but my friend said not any more."

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was under the impression that iMacs were immune to viruses and scams but my friend said not any more."

There are no viruses in the wild that can infect your Mac. However, scams, malware, and schemes are not limited to any one particular platform. Common sense and avoiding the type of web sites where those things are likely to happen is still the best antidote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a suggestion John go into Safari Preferences > Security and select all the boxes including block pop ups.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have passed the thread link onto the guy in question, so he should look at it soon.

I use Firefox, veru occasionally Safari, so I will also look at the settings and tick all of the boxes.

Thank you.

Edit : - Done Harry, they were already ticked, but good to check..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.