Minecraft Problems

Reaction score
I'm having some trouble with Minecraft on my new computer. I got a Mac Mini for christmas (late 2012 model) and I'm also new to OS X. Anyhow i downloaded Minecraft and it opens and runs as it should. However, this other window pops up every time i launch the game. It has the Minecraft grass block and then an arrow pointing to the applications folder. Also, there is an icon on my desktop that i want to remove but every time i open the game it comes back.

Any support is appreciated!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

You are running the game from the DMG (Disk Image) file and haven't installed it. So double-click on the DMG file, and you should see the Minecarft icon and the Application folder icons with the arrow. Just drag the Minecraft icon to the Application folder icon.

Now, from the desktop, you can move the DMG file to the Trash can to "unmount" it.

Next, open up Finder and go to Applications and you'll see Minecraft there, double-click and enjoy..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
No worries, being new to OS X, you just aren't familiar with the way things work..that's what we are here for..:)

Now just for future reference, just as easily as you installed Minecraft, you can uninstall it by dragging the Minecraft icon from the Applications folder to the Trash Can and empty it.

What gets left behind is a small config file that shouldn't be much to worry about, but you can use apps like AppCleaner to do a more thorough job.

If, on the other hand, an application came with a real installer, it likely will come with an uninstaller as well to cleanly remove the app..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.