Need music help please

Reaction score
I would like to know the simplest way to take music from itunes(11.1.3) and store it , take it to a friends and plug it into the rca jacks of the system and play. That's all I want from the device. Any help appreciated, and thanks in advance. Running 10.7.5 on my mac mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Michael - there are plenty of portable music players - if you want to stay w/ Apple then iPods or iPads can be used to transfer music from your Mac Mini to the device. For myself, I have an old iPod Touch 2G and have about 90 hrs of music on the device (all added as MP3 files via iTunes; AAC is another Apple file format that many used).

The music can be played in many ways - I have several radios w/ iPod docks; also wireless options, i.e. BT (Bluetooth) headphones & TV sound bar; and finally I can cabled it to my stereo AUX port w/ the adapter shown below. Good luck and let us know if you have more specific questions. Dave :)

Attachments

• 41JGQR4TJML.jpg
    41JGQR4TJML.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 37
OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Dave
I thought an Ipod was the answer but after looking at the myriad of them this morning and various problems with some I had no idea which one to get. I guess my question should have been which ipod is the simplest and most dependable to match my system. I assume you like yours and would recommend it? Is it easy to transfer the files from itunes to the device, and can I save the playlists when I do it? Sorry to be such a novice , and thanks again.
Oh, I have the cable you picture already.

C

chas_m

Which iPod you might get depends pretty much on what capacity of music you need. Even the tiniest one (the shuffle) can hold 200+ songs. Most people these days have iPhones or other smartphones, all of which can store much more music than that and be used in the same manner as an iPod. Smartphones also have the advantage (also seen in some of the larger-capacity iPod models) of having a navigable screen to help select and manage what music plays. There's no need to transfer anything to the target device; your songs and playlists stay on your iPod or smartphone, and play using the wire pictured above (or, in the case of newer AirPlay-compatible receivers, devices like the iPod touch and iPhone can use AirPlay to stream selections wirelessly).

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply
I don't possess an iphone or ipad. I think 200 songs would be enough, but I would like to have the ability to select playlists to be played, or perhaps even specific songs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dave
I thought an Ipod was the answer but after looking at the myriad of them this morning and various problems with some I had no idea which one to get. I guess my question should have been which ipod is the simplest and most dependable to match my system. I assume you like yours and would recommend it? Is it easy to transfer the files from itunes to the device, and can I save the playlists when I do it? Sorry to be such a novice , and thanks again.
Oh, I have the cable you picture already.

Hi again Michael - as Chas_m has stated there are many considerations from the iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano, and iPod Touch (iPods) - you'll need to review the models and the prices along w/ the capacity you need; finally, do you need just a music player, such as the Nano or do you want the versatility of iOS 7 which would involve buying the more expensive iPod Touch.

My iPod Touch is probably 4 years old - when 'on the road' I carry the iPod, iPad 2, and a BT keyboard - I'm planning on buying an iPad Air soon (will likely get the 64 GB model) and will put all of my music on it and use a small BT speaker to play my music. Now if you want the features of an iPad (just a BIG iPod Touch), then that is yet another thought.

As to using iTunes (which is on my MBPro), I usually import music either by ripping from CDs I own as MP3 files or I purchase MP3 from various online sites and import into the program; once the music is there, I will make a playlist, plug in the iPod and simply drag the playlist to the iPod icon on the sidebar. There are other options but I'll stop there. Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks again Dave

I'll try to make clear exactly what I need. I have all the music I am going to transport already in playlists on itunes. I just would like to be able to take it to my friend's house and play it through her stereo system when I visit(perhaps as many as 500 songs). I just need to be able to plug it into an aux input (as I said, I have the cable)and select the playlist(s) I want to hear. The cheapest ipod that would accomplish that is what I want to purchase. I apologize for being such an amateur , and thanks for any suggestions.

Michael

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The iPod Shuffle does not have the capacity to hold 500 songs. You would have to purchase an iPod Nano in order to hold that much music. The Nano comes in two capacities; 8 GB and 16 GB and is more expensive than the Shuffle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again Dave

I'll try to make clear exactly what I need. I have all the music I am going to transport already in playlists on itunes. I just would like to be able to take it to my friend's house and play it through her stereo system when I visit(perhaps as many as 500 songs). I just need to be able to plug it into an aux input (as I said, I have the cable)and select the playlist(s) I want to hear. The cheapest ipod that would accomplish that is what I want to purchase. I apologize for being such an amateur , and thanks for any suggestions./QUOTE]

Hi Michael - I'd agree w/ the comments from Chscag - seems like the iPod Nano 16 GB ($149 from Apple online w/ free shipping) would be your best choice - check out the Nano HERE @ the online Apple store (or a real one if near you). See the information in quotes below - iTunes will allow the music transfer you desired. Good luck & let us know what happens. Dave :)

iTunes is the easiest way to fill your iPod nano with music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, podcasts, and more. Just buy from the iTunes Store on your Mac or PC, or import your CD collection into iTunes. Then you can make your own playlists, create Genius playlists, choose Genius Mixes, and sync it all to your iPod nano.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.