Nano 7th gen bluetooth headset, pairs fine then never finds the headset again

Reaction score
When the ipod is shut off for long enough to forget your place, it will not resync even when you click the headset in the setup screen. You have to re-pair them to use the bluetooth headset.

If you just shut off the ipod and headset for a few minutes to an hour, it comes back on just fine. If you wait until the ipod forgets where you are and you have to go back into music and re-select stuff, it will not find the headset no matter what you do. You have to "forget this device" and then re-pair them.

On the same set of headphones, they pair with my phone every time no matter how long it's been off or what else is going on. Same with macbook pro and ipad.

It's only on the ipod and only if you leave the ipod off long enough to forget where you were in the playlist.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have the same iPod Nano and it's paired with my car for music and it always connects each time. The only time it doesn't automatically connect is when it's been sleeping for an extended (overnight usually) period of time. In this case, I have to click on the power button to wake it up and then it connects and start playing without any problems.

Does your iPod only have issues with that one headphones you have or other Bluetooth connections as well?

OP
D
Reaction score
I take it you leave your nano on and just let it sleep. I'll have to try that. I turn mine off (power button and hold until screen goes black) and the next day I have to re-pair it with the headphones.

I only have this one set of headphones.

Then again, now that I think about it I can pair this nano with macbook pro, mac mini, etc and they're happy but if I then turn it off and back on I get the "Cannot pair, make sure device is on and within range" no matter what I'm trying it with.

May have to pair it with the car's speaker and see about that.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the only time I have to power the iPod nano from scratch is when I forget to charge it and it dies, like it has right now in my car..:) otherwise I just let it sleep.

Now, technically it should remember all paired devices through power-cycles just like it would through sleep-wake cycles.

Also, a new update to the iPod Nano came out a coupe of weeks ago, make sure you are running that..

OP
D
Reaction score
Took it back to Best Buy and exchanged it. This new one works right. Whenever it gets in range of a paired item, it connects.

Thanks for the help, though!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got that sorted out..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.