Apple or Windows for adult computer newbie?

Reaction score
What would you recommend for an adult who is not a computer user, wants a first laptop, doesn't have a lot of money, and will never be into computers like most of us on the forum: Windows or Apple? It's not a trivial conundrum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Can he type well? If not, I strongly recommend an iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Refurbished MacBook Air would be my recommendation.
I say one of them, because they are quite cheap, but its the OS i think he will benefit more out of. I will admit, that i have trouble finding my way around a Windows OS, and i think myself to be quite computer literate.
The Mac OS is simple, yet powerful, and things are in a logical place.
Pictures are in Pictures folder, Movies are in Movies, Music in Music, Documents in Documents . . . . . See logical.
Window My computer, C Drive, Files, Documents ??
But if he is looking for cheap then its the Netbooks, but you can pick up a 2011 MBA 11" for $600 . . .
Then again as our friend above me said, a iPad could be what he could use, depending on why he needs it.

OP
Demapples
Reaction score
Has to be a laptop, not a tablet like an iPad. They need the productivity functions.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If the real question is which OS to give an adult that has never used an OS, prior to answering you have to know what they want a computer for - what are they wanting to do with it?

Having said that, if the plan is a desktop OS, would have to say OS X or one of a few versions of Linux - possibly Linux Mint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
If I were looking for a first computer as an adult and not so computer savvy, I would go for something that is logical, is very stable, low on maintenance, intuitive and well supported.
Also, I want that computer to work for me, not the other way around.
Sounds like OS X :)

Cheers ... McBie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What would you recommend for an adult who is not a computer user, wants a first laptop, doesn't have a lot of money, and will never be into computers like most of us on the forum: Windows or Apple? It's not a trivial conundrum.

If this person is "newish" to computers...and has no OS preferences...why would anyone want to burden this person with all the hassles of Windows (viruses, install headaches, maintenance headaches, etc.)...especially since they will "never be into computers like the rest of us"? The Mac OS is just much much easier...and much more hassle free (it just works).

Of course then there's the cost question. If you go with a Mac...initial cost is probably going to be more. What's the "cost compromise"...buy a used Mac laptop.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Like any project, it's all about requirements. Are the "productivity apps" that are required available on both the OS's that the user is selecting from? If so, are there any "nice to have" requirements that one does better ie: intergation with other users' systems or employer's software? If everything is platform agnostic, then it's really personal preference. I see more people going to Mac from Windows and listing ease of use, low maintenance and simplicity as major Mac benefits. People going Mac to Windows usually seem to need a particular piece of Windows-only software. I'll admit that I don't think Windows is terrible by any means. Still, given my druthers, I choose Mac because it's stable, does everything I require, and is actually pretty robust with all the software and built in utilities. These days, with all the "cloud" services and browser-based applications, the platform is becoming more secondary to internet connections and general portability. I am very happy with Apple's service and turn around on the few problems I've had over the years. Tough to beat their hardware support IMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
The only reason I use apple is OS X. Much easier to use no problems less maintenance. Nuff said?

Reaction score
I used Windows for years, and spent some time learning and understanding it's OS.
2 years ago I bought an iMac, after a couple of weeks found it easy to handle with none of the normal problems associated with windows, ie maintenance free.
I am 76 on Sunday so not a young geek, but I would recommend any Apple computer for your man. The only drawback I can see is price, but look around, and I think you will find if it is possible to raise the cash Mac is the way to go.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm going to diverge here and be the devil's advocate by suggesting a Windows PC. Macs are expensive and even though refurb models are cheaper, they're still expensive. If the user is intelligent and savvy enough on a computer, a Windows machine with a standard account may be fine enough. Locked down and properly managed by something like MS Security Essentials, the machine might be fine.

In another way, Linux might be enough as well. Using a more friendly distro may suit their needs if they don't need anything that is Windows specific. If all their going to do is use things that are platform independent (browse the web, send emails, etc.), a simple to use Linux box may be enough if someone can support him if something goes wrong.

C

chas_m

I suspect Vansmith didn't read the initial brief very closely:

and will never be into computers like most of us

Who, exactly is going to "lock down and manage" this Windows account for a person who is a complete newbie to computers (again, as stated in the opening post)? A "light duty user" has NO interest in crap like that, and quickly finds themselves in trouble IME. This is NOT, from the description, someone who wants to learn to be a computer whiz like most of us: he's someone who needs to perform some basic functions as painlessly as possible. Windows, at every level, regardless of whatever other advantages you might call forth in its favour, is a PITA to learn and get good at. Particularly for newbies with no interest in learning it.

As for Linux -- who's this person going to call when they run into a problem with their Linux install? You?

Given the opening requirements, a Mac or iPad (with keyboard for "productivity") is really the only sensible answer, IMO. Most users *do not want* to "learn a system" so that they can "lock it down" and "manage" it. They want as near to a toaster in terms of ease-of-use-to-functionality ratio, and I think the argument of which OS is closest to that goal was settled a long time ago.

M

MacInWin

I think a refurbed MBA sounds about right for them. My Father In Law, before he passed away, had multiple Windows PCs for which I was tech support. He had AV software, but couldn't resist clicking on ads, free offers, anything that attracted his attention. As a result, his machine was constantly filled with crapware of all descriptions. One time I had to bring his machine to my house, completely purge the hard drive multiple times and reinstall all of his software to recover from the 7000+ instances of one really nasty virus. It replicated faster than I could exterminate it! Eventually the only fix was to completely disconnect the machine from the world (no internet) and then run an industrial-strength virus stomper I got from a technical geek URL in Germany. That finally inhibited it sufficiently enough that I could then exterminate it with his regular AV software. When I gave it back to him I had pasted a great big banner over the top of his monitor that said, "TANSTAAFL." He asked what that was and I said it was a reminder to him that "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch," and that he was never to click on anything that said "Free" ever again.

So, if they aren't tech savvy, a refurb MBA can be a good solution because it is going to be much more safe for them to wander into the wild, wild, Internet with.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that "doesn't have a lot of money"...needs to be better defined...so we have a better idea of what potential options we can suggest.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I gave it back to him I had pasted a great big banner over the top of his monitor that said, "TANSTAAFL." He asked what that was and I said it was a reminder to him that "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch," and that he was never to click on anything that said "Free" ever again.

In case anyone is wondering, TANSTAAFL comes from one of the best SF novels ever written by the great Robert Heinlein in 1966 "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress".

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Who, exactly is going to "lock down and manage" this Windows account for a person who is a complete newbie to computers (again, as stated in the opening post)? A "light duty user" has NO interest in crap like that, and quickly finds themselves in trouble IME. This is NOT, from the description, someone who wants to learn to be a computer whiz like most of us: he's someone who needs to perform some basic functions as painlessly as possible.
A Windows machine is no more difficult to set up then a Mac and does basic fictions no worse or better than any other platform.

Windows, at every level, regardless of whatever other advantages you might call forth in its favour, is a PITA to learn and get good at. Particularly for newbies with no interest in learning it.
That's a personal preference, no? The ninety percent of the market who uses Windows seems to think it's okay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
That's a personal preference, no? The ninety percent of the market who uses Windows seems to think it's okay.

I have to agree with Chas here. You see it all the time in this forum, and others i have been too. The "WOW Why didn't i move over before, as a Mac is so easy to use and set up".

I don't regular Windows Forums, but i don't think you would hear much of the opposite of what
i said above . . . Even friends, say they are easier than a Windows System to set up . . .

C

chas_m

And people think Top 40 music awesome ... until they learn about other kinds of music and/or grow up a little.

If you like Windows, that's fine. It's good for some things, no question about it. But it is not and never has been a joy to use. Macs aren't perfect, but they are so much farther down the path of enjoyable for typical consumers its not even funny, and iPads are further down that path still. When one is adept at something, one tends to prefer it of course -- but I think too many "nerds" like us power-users tend to forget that our criteria of "fun" (like building a computer from scratch, or ... like I did back a million years ago ... writing your own custom operating system for a TRS-80, or mastering the arcane magick of the VariType or the mechanics of Xmodem, etc) is not the even on the same wavelength as what normal people want to do with computers.

To put this another way, there are people who love tinkering with cars. Some are really talented, and after years of learning them, a total whiz at repairing and optimizing cars. Bless those guys, but what percentage of the population wants to be them? About one percent. The rest of us just want the car to start and drive as we expect. I think the same percentage prefer an easier-to-use computer ... one reason why smartphones and the iPad have taken off so strongly (they are, essentially, simpler computers) ... and the reason the Mac doesn't win even more people over is mostly due to FUD and "standards" and being afraid to learn something new when learning the first thing was so traumatic. I think the endless testimonies of the switchers we've seen here tells the tale.

OP
Demapples
Reaction score
Compatibility is an issue to consider. For example, an adult learner in a post-secondary program or an employee in a small business where the teachers or employer only use Wndows machines? Pages and Word for Mac can take care of most essay assignments, Keynote and PowerPoint for Mac can deal with presentations and PDFs are platform-independant. I imagine those would be the main issues, easily managed by a Mac user. Average users wouldn't want to get into running Windows on a Mac. I wonder how often adult learners run into situations where a course or business requires them to use a program that only runs in Windows? Presumably that would be rare nowadays?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.