iMac as a target display mode

Reaction score
i bought new 27" iMac late 2013.
We know iMac can be use as a monitor with target display mode connection (with thunderbolt equipped macs)
1- I have also an old mac mini with dvi output
2- May i use iMac as a monitor with Mac mini with dvi to thunderbolt adapter or converter
3- If yes Is operating system of mac mini (OS x 10.4) has any negative effect to this connection (maverick on iMac)
4-I s anyone who tried to use dvi output equipped device on iMac (as a monitor of course)
Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
2. yes - but, it will require an active adapter to convert the signal

A passive adapter relies on the video card to recognize what is attached to it and output the appropriate signal for the monitor.
OS X 10.4 and/or the video cards from that era have no idea what displayport is and would have no idea how to output such a signal.

You will need something like this. Note: that one did not work with the 27" Apple displays when they initially came out - have no idea if Gefen came out with a patch or a new adapter - but, a converter similar to this is what you'll need - read reviews before buying.

OP
A
Reaction score
imac as target display mode

Many Thanks.

I read the comments about GEFEN DVI to mini displayport converter.
It is not compatible with 27" i mac as you say. Plus Attention someone report damage for the port of the 27" iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.