How are you using tags in Mavericks (if you are)?

A

anthonyjh

I've recently began saving certain documents in iCloud since I can then seamlessly edit them on my iPad. I'm starting, therefore, to see the appeal of using tags to organise documents (although, I still think that the folder system is fine; why fix something that isn't broken?).

I'm struggling to try and organise my documents using both folders and tags - how do you use them? Any tips?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I have struggled as well, not in a technical was, purely organisational.
And I am still trying to find the best way, because as you go along you get smarter and more creative with tags.
I am still using the colours more than the named tags.
What I am trying to do is describe the content of a document in max. 5 tags ( words in this case ).
I guess this is an individual preference.
Constantly asking the question " What do I want tags to do for me on this document/file ? " without going overboard :)

Cheers ... McBie

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I haven't quite figured out the best way yet either. When I saw the keynote demo I thought it was a great idea. I wrote about Smart Folders a while ago for ATPM and said they'd be more useful if there was an easier way to tags the files with appropriate Spotlight tags. Hopefully this will work out well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I am using tags for both my graphic work files and fonts

I am tagging all of my portfolio work to make it easier to find specific kinds of jobs, as for my live work, rather than portfolio selected pieces, I'll probably be using the same tags on new work from now on.

I have also been tagging the image library for my main client, especially useful say when airport pictures are in separate folders (filed by product category), now I can find all airport pictures no matter where they are filed physically.

As for fonts, I have keyworded all fonts using more or less standard font classifications, and also used a program called HoudahSpot no sync mavericks tags with open metadata tags for added compatability. All I need now is a font manager that can read tags and let me use all that work to search fonts by type, without reclassifying all over again.

Alas, no font manger out there reads mavericks or open meta tags as yet, Fontcase looked promising, but that has now been discontinued. FontExplorer allows classifying fonts (as does suitcase, but non of them read tags, mavericks or open metadata tags

OP
C

chas_m

I'm not fully immersed in tags yet, having developed over the years a folder system that works pretty well for me. Having said that, I certainly see the benefit and am using them on certain items -- like Louishen I tag "portfolio" things I work on that I want to add to my online portfolio. I can tag disparate documents filed in lots of different places with a project name or what have you -- multiple what have you's actually, which is nice -- and then quickly "gather then together" when needed. The tags don't affect the file in any way other than when searched for, so for example I can tag a black and white image I want to use later (that I'm not going to keep in iPhoto because its not my photo) with any names of things I might want to use this for later -- "work image," "B&W," "(subject of image)" "web ready" and so forth -- and find it by any of those criteria, which makes finding it when I want it handy.

I think new users who are diligent enough to get started with tags will find it even more natural. Mostly, though, I hope it gives users the security to finally move crap off their desktop! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.