Airport Time Capsule Headaches - Help with settings Pls

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
Just got 2T airport TC. Dirs in that tiny little book not real helpful. I plugged cat 5 from existing NetGear into the input of TC. I then connected iMac ethernet port to on of the other ports on TC and began a backup. After MANY hours, only @ 175 GB copied over, but more importantly, my Time Warner Cable internet was down. Literally spent 6 hrs trying to get the whole system to work. I initially tried to set TC up as sole router, but not able to connect to internet. Finally went back to original NetGear as main router and will use TC as a backup for Time Machine and hopefully as router extender. So now that I am in the process of redoing my first backup, I am trying to figure out what the correct setting for the TC should be. I just accessed the TC via Airport Utility and see the internet is not connected to TC, but it just turned green for a connection, I guess. Why the delay? There were times it never turned green. When I choose to edit the settings of the Base station, I am unsure of what they should be. For example, when I choose Wireless, all I see is OFF or extend a network or create a new one. How do I just choose my existing. I guess I could go on and on with complaints---so, does anyone have a list of what the setting should be for the various windows when trying to edit the base station? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The problem here is that you are expecting two routers to play nice with one another out of the box.

Do you have a separate modem or is it built into your Netgear router?

Once I know that I can tell you how to configure your TC appropriately

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
Mrplow, trying to get the 2 routers to work together was what I had hope to do---silly me. I ended up make the TC my only router. I will be getting an airport express to add my older backup HDD to in a more secretive location. Once I stopped trying to make the 2 different brands to work together all fell into place is all works well.
Thanks for your input

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.