Macbook Pro Wifi Problem

Reaction score
Hey guys, my macbook has been disconnecting itself from my wifi which is starting to get annoying. What happens is that i'm online just browsing or playing a game and it will go out for a couple of seconds and turn back on. The wifi signal at the top of the screen doesn't even show that my internet is out.
I've tried using the assist me tab in network settings but half way through the internet will start working again.
This problem only started happening to me when I upgraded to mavericks and when i'm at my vacation house. When I am at home I don't have this problem.

Thanks.

M

MacInWin

Sounds more like someone nearby has a wifi whose signals are interfering with yours. Is that a possibility?

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't think so because my mac doesn't show any more networks I can connect two. Plus the house is on a hill and is out of their wifi reach.
Could the problem be that I am using a wifi extender to reach to my room, since the router doesn't extend the wifi to my room. I don't know if the extender is the problem because my brother doesn't have any problem and he is in the same room. (he is using a windows computer)
If using an extender is the problem, how do I fix it? The only way to not use the extender is to go into the main part of the house.

M

MacInWin

If the extender is also receiving wifi from the central router and not hardwired to the network, that could be the problem. Do you have any way of measuring how good the signal INTO the extender is? (As a general rule, an extender should be about midway between the central router and your farthest location, but you can move it from that area to get a better signal into it if you need to.)

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, they are about half way, and I tried taking out the extender and connecting to the router but it also cuts off and comes back on. It doesnt do it as much as the extender but it still does it a little bit.
I also tried taking out the wifi segment in the network settings and adding it back but that didnt work either.

M

MacInWin

I should have asked earlier, but what MBP and what version of the OS? If it's Mavericks, here is a thread here with several solutions that have worked for others.

OP
S
Reaction score
I should have asked earlier, but what MBP and what version of the OS? If it's Mavericks, here is a thread here with several solutions that have worked for others.
Thanks for the link.
It is a mid 2012 13 inch MBP and it is mavericks. I went through some of what the people said but so far nothing they did hasnt helped me.

M

MacInWin

One of the folks there reinstalled Mavericks and it seemed to help. Have you done that? I know it's a bit extreme, but it is a way to reset the various plists that might be affecting you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What encryption is being used - WEP - WPA2?

Macs have problems in general with WEP - which is a good thing, since any neighborhood kiddie can crack it in a couple of minutes.

M

MacInWin

And if it's WEP, just changing to WPA2 doesn't seem to fix the problem. On my wife's mini we had to delete the connection altogether and re-establish it with WPA2 to get it to be consistent.

OP
S
Reaction score
I havent tried reinstalling mavericks because I don't have an external hard drive to back up my mac on.
On my mac it says that the internet is wpa/wpa2.
I think I found out part of the problem, because I noticed that when my brother is on his laptop (we share a room) my internet goes in and out. But when he isnt on his laptop mine works fine. Could his windows computer somehow be interfering with my internet connection?

Thanks.

M

MacInWin

Yes, it could. It shouldn't, but it could. If your wifi router is dual band, you might try using the other band. It depends on how the router is set up. On my dual band router, I have one band set up as "network2" and the other as "network5" so that I can force a login to one or the other if I need to. (The 2 and 5 refer to the frequency of the band, just for convenience.) But right now my wife and I share network5 just fine. We aren't in the same room, which may be why it works well for us.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.