File Arrangement

Reaction score
How can I arrange files in only one folder chronologically and keep alphabetical arrangement in the rest of the system?Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Open the folder. Select Show View Options from the contextual menu (bring that up with a right click or control-click). Pick Arrange By, then Date Created.

DO NOT select Arrange By from the contextual menu, as that is not a permanent change for the window. But, if you ever want to see it in a different arrangement temporarily, that's how to do it.

C

chas_m

I do this a lot with my folders: most are alphabetical, but work folders are arranged by Date Modified so that the most recent files are at the top.

OP
K
Reaction score
Finder

Thanks. My problem is that I want to only change my bank statement folder to permanently display files in date created mode in column view mode. If I do that the whole file system changes to date created mode.

This is what I want to achieve. I have three folders contained within a folder (1) that I display with the Column View in Finder. I want all the folders to be arranged by name, but I want the contents of the 3 folders to be arranged by Date Created. When I change the "Arrange By" or "Sort By" options to "By Date Created, all the folders in Finder are arranged by date and not just the contents.Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When you open the 'Show View Options', need to look at the top of that window to see which folder you are changing.

When right clicking on an item inside a folder, it changes the folder the item resides in...

That is, if you open the 'Documents' folder - right click 'Folder A' there and go to Show View Options - you are changing the Documents folder.

To change the view of 'Folder A', you need to open 'Folder A' and select 'Show View Options' from an item inside that folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is what I want to achieve. I have three folders contained within a folder (1) that I display with the Column View in Finder. I want all the folders to be arranged by name, but I want the contents of the 3 folders to be arranged by Date Created. When I change the "Arrange By" or "Sort By" options to "By Date Created, all the folders in Finder are arranged by date and not just the contents.Thanks

Do what I said in post #2 to those three folders, one at a time. That should achieve the result you want. If not, we either have a communication problem, or your Mac is misbehaving. As the post above says, you have to open each of the three folders you want to change, again, one at a time.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks.I cannot get the folder with monthly statements to stay permanently in date created order while the rest of the Documents folder stays in Name sorting order.When I open show view options it shows that I am sorting 'Documents' and not the 'Bankstatement' folder.How do I get to set conditions for the Bankstatements folder only?Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Read my post above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.