Displaying macbook screen on a laptop monitor

Reaction score
My 2009 Macbook's screen would fade into white and I officially stopped using it sometime in April this year. However, it still works and since I don't intend to fix the screen (short on funds) I was wondering if I could display the screen on my Asus laptop monitor?

I know that you can have the Macbook screen functioning on a stand alone monitor, is it the same case with a laptop's monitor?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Most laptops do not have a video-in port (video-out only). If your Asus laptop has a video-in port...then you may be in luck. But then I would be very surprised if it had a video-in port.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Give Screen Recycler a try. I used it some time ago to mirror one Mac screen to another but it's supposed to work with PC monitors as well. I believe the site even has recommendations about which Windows VNC programs work best with it.

Be warned that if your network is slow then the screen redraw when you make a move on screen will be dead slow. Worth a try though.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah it doesn't have a video-in port. Thank you both, I will definitely look into Screen Recycler.sounds promising!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.