TimeMachine migrates to the wrong date. How do I specifiy which date to migrate from?

Reaction score
Recently, my MacBook Pro 2011 unibody, 10.7.5 crashed due to bad sectors. After installing a new a hard drive, I preformed a restore via the migration assistance. It all went well except that it restored to not the latest date.

The cause of this is was because I had a few backups in the Timemachine that are dated far into the future, such as 2015, 2016,etc. They were made when I switched the system time to the future in order to disable some applications that were giving me problems. Right when I did this, the time machine made a backup and now those backups are always considered the "latest" backups.

So my question is, how do I preform a FULL restore using migration to a specified date, instead of what it thinks is the "latest" backup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So my question is, how do I preform a FULL restore using migration to a specified date, instead of what it thinks is the "latest" backup.

The answer is you can't. When you changed the date time it was stamped into the image that Time Machine made when it did the backup. Since you used a future date, that causes the system to use the latest backup lined up with your system.

You can give this a try - (no guaranty that it will work). Change the system date on your machine to match the date of the latest backup made by Time Machine and try the migration again. After (if it was successful) the transfer is made, reset the system date back to the correct time. Then start your Time Machine backups again from a fresh start.

Let us know if this works.

C

chas_m

"The cause of this is was because I had a few backups in the Timemachine that are dated far into the future, such as 2015, 2016,etc. They were made when I switched the system time to the future in order to disable some applications that were giving me problems"

There's only one "problem" where setting the clock forward "fixes" things, and you've gotten the reward for that fix with more and worse problems. "Time" to get legit IMO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.