Cant move or copy files from Movies folder, says they are in use?!?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I tried to hunt for this on google, but nothing came up. I even rebooted twice, no dice..

I have some downloaded youtube videos in my Movie folder I was wanting to put on my NAS. But for some strange reason I can't move them. It keeps giving me a error dialog box claiming the files are in use, even after rebooting a number of times and not running any other programs with the exception of finder in which I have no choice to run.. LOL..
Now keep in mind I moved some other video files from my Frostware Torrent Data folder without any issues. So its something with the Movies folder, or something that keeps looking the movies folder. However, nothing should be as I tried rebooting twice without opening anything. I can add more files, but can not move or copy and paste them to another folder on my NAS. I haven't tried to see if I can C&P them to another folder on my system drive, but not sure that will help either.

Any ideas or suggestions..

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
UPDATE:

Ok, it let me Move the files to a temp directory I named Test, then copy and past them to my NAS from it without any issues what so ever. But this still leaves me with issue of the normal movies folder not working as excepted.. :(

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've been running into a similar problem lately. Particularly with some folders in iTunes that no longer have anything in them but they are still registering as in use. If I find a solution will post here. What I've found so far has been no help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've been running into a similar problem lately. Particularly with some folders in iTunes that no longer have anything in them but they are still registering as in use.

Anything being shown in the Activity Monitor? I've had the same thing happen on occasion and usually could always spot something going on in the Activity Monitor. Highlighting the activity and clicking on the stop sign usually works to kill the process allowing you to reboot, shut down, or remove the file\folder.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't gotten that far with troubleshooting yet. I noticed the problem several days ago but it has been a bit chaotic here for the last few days.

I first noticed the problem with a few folders in iTunes/Media that are now empty but won't delete. I don't think the problem is confined to iTunes though. Sometimes it seems like whatever app that was using the file is being a bit slow to release it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.