Wireless Keyboard

CCW

Reaction score
I just purchased a used iMac on eBay. The previous owner reset the computer to the original configuration. I am attempting to go thru the initial setup and the wireless keyboard does not communicate with the computer. The wireless mouse works so I know the bluetooth is working on the computer. The wireless keyboard works with my iPad so I know the keyboard works. Any help would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure you have a fresh set of batteries in the wireless keyboard and go thru the setup procedure from System Preferences, Blue Tooth.

OP
C

CCW

Reaction score
New Batteries

I did put new batteries in both the wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. Like I said in the original post, I know the wireless keyboard works because it pairs up with my iPad just fine and works with it. I am unable to get to the configuration menu because I am unable to type anything in the initial setup of the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I did put new batteries in both the wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. Like I said in the original post, I know the wireless keyboard works because it pairs up with my iPad just fine and works with it. I am unable to get to the configuration menu because I am unable to type anything in the initial setup of the computer.

Boy, what to do? I'd probably first try to 'unpair' the KB from your iPad and see what happens? If not effective, do you have a spare USB KB around? Let me stop there to see if these suggestions are useful - good luck! Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The suggestion from member RadDave is a good one. You're going to need to use a USB wired keyboard to access the BT preference panel on the Mac and either un pair whatever might already be paired to it, or run the setup. Any wired USB keyboard will work OK, even a Windows keyboard. On a Windows keyboard, the Windows key is the "command" key and the alt key is the option key on the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Indeed it to make sure it is unpaired from any other device. Now if your at the first startup screen on a new mac. It can be a little frustrating as you can't get to any system preferences at this point. However if you press the power button on and off a few times on the keyboard the computer will eventually get a clue and let you pair it up. I had to turn my own and off erratically as if I was a blind monkey with turrets syndrome. But the computer finally figured out, hey theres a keyboard out there.. duh!! and let me connect. Sometimes its just silly..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S iPod Nano 6th Gen MacBook Pro (2011) -OS: OS X v.10.6.8 -Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Is the wireless keyboard an Apple keyboard or off-brand?

I ask because I had an off-brand wireless keyboard I purchased because it was 1/3 the price of an Apple - it worked with some devices but not others and was overall very hit and miss (dependent on whether I was using trackpad or mouse it would not work with any device). I ended up getting a refund for the hit and miss performance. Needless to say, I went to the Apple and it works on all devices fine now. Good luck!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
However if you press the power button on and off a few times on the keyboard the computer will eventually get a clue and let you pair it up.

That's good to know. Don't think I noticed that before.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no power button on the keyboard, wireless or wired. Besides he said he was using it on an iMac and the power button on an iMac is located on the back left side of the monitor (as you face it).

As for it being a non Apple wireless keyboard, I don't think it matters. I have a cheap wireless keyboard that I purchased from Amazon for my iPad and it pairs with my iMac. His iMac may have been paired to another wireless keyboard at one time (he purchased it used) and needs to be un paired and reset before it pairs to the new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sorry Charlie there is a power button on the wireless keyboard at the opposite end to where the batteries are installed. Pressing will cause the green light to flash and communicate with the computer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right Harry, I forgot about the wireless keyboard power button! See what happens when you get old, pretty soon things begin to go.... now where was I when all this began? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I is shocked you would even think I may be wrong!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.