Why is iTunes copying mp3s out of order

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone6s, Mini Server (2011), MBP 15inch i7(2013) Retina, iPad Pro
When I'm putting cds into iTunes library/playlist. It's not putting them in the correct order. Itunes keep moving albums that I purchase from Amazon or whats in my mp3 collection out of order.

Is there a why to resolve this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Without more information, i could say that it is as easy as you having the wrong Menu Bar live . . . ie: When in list view at the top you have Song, Time, Artist, Album, Genre, and you might have Song selected and if you have that will make the songs list in Alphabetical Order, and different ways if you have others selected ??
If not give us more info, OS, iTune version what you did, have done and so on . . .

OP
RattlerMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I click on the Track Number and it listed the tracks, that shows them out of order. When I click on the tack number in the view, it put them in order the correct way. This is a new mbp, the old mbp would put them in the correct order by default.

The tracks are not in alphabetic order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
As TattooedMac said, it is most likely a ' sorting ' order that you need to set in the different views iTunes has.
This has nothing to do with an old or a new MBP ( hardware ) nor with the OS ( OS X ) , just sorting views in iTunes.
Can you send us a screen shot so we can have a visual and maybe help you out better ?
Also, it will be beneficial if you tell us what OS you are running and what version of iTunes you have.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
RattlerMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is the info on my Mac.

OS X 10.9.1

iTunes 11.1.3

It appears to have put the songs on by name. How can I set the default to do track #'s?

Screen Shot 2013-12-25 at 4.54.44 PM.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you Right Click right there the column names are like Name, Time, Artist, you can add other columns. One I just added is Track Number. See if that does it for you. If not check that listing and add the one that will put them in the order you want and HIGHLIGHT it.

Hope that solves it for you. Did for me.

OP
RattlerMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is a screen shot and this isn't in order by track #'s. How do I set the default of iTunes to copy this to library in track listing order?

Screen Shot 2013-12-27 at 9.48.54 PM.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Right Click and add Sort Album to the columns up top then pick that instead of Artist. See if that gives you what you are after?

Screen shot 2013-12-27 at 8.08.33 PM.png

C

chas_m

Here's the thing about iTunes: the Library sorts them by what it knows. If the track numbers are present in the tags for the files, then internally, iTunes is sorting them correctly.

But iTunes shows you whatever it is you tell it you *want* it to show you in terms of sort order. That doesn't mean the files are actually unsorted, it means you selected "time" or "name" as the default sort VIEW (ie the way the information is presented to you). Setting track number as the default view should show you the songs in album order, *provided* the track number is listed in the tags for the songs. If it's not, iTunes will always "fall back" to alphabetical order.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas is correct. All mine are and when I select what I did in the screen shot above as you can see they are in order.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.