Moving & Syncing iTunes on iMac & Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 10.9.1 - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 - 16GB ram
I just purchased a new macbook pro & wanted to sync my iTunes with my iMac.
I'm running OSX10.9.1 & iTunes 11.1.3 on both computers.

I copied my iTunes music from the iMac to the Macbook Pro via a flash drive.
I also copied the other files within the folders.

However I’m not sure how I can set up iTunes to see all of the music. I only get what's in the cloud on my playlist. I have a lot of music that I added to iTunes via CD.

How can I set up the music that I have stored locally?

I've moved a lot of files around so I may have to start from scratch. I got a little confused as far as going to "Home" or "My Computer" from the finder.
I didn't move anything from the "Library"

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

C

chas_m

If you copied the entire iTunes *folder* from the iMac to the MBP, and have authorized the new computer by signing into your account in iTunes and authorizing it, you should be good to go.

If you didn't copy over the entire iTunes folder, then go back and do it again. If you had music already in the MBPs iTunes, either overwrite that with the iMac's iTunes folder, or open iTunes with the option key held down and "choose" the "old" iTunes library you brought over from your iMac.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chas_m

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

Once I moved the Library files(which I thought I had already done), opened with the Option, & chose the library everything worked fine.

Now I have one more question...

When I purchase a song from iTunes on either the iMac or the MBP will the libraries sync?

C

chas_m

No, but they can if you want. There's a great program called ChronoSync that's good for this (and other things), or you can do it the cheap guy's way (points at self) and turn on automatic downloads so that every time you purchase something from the store, it goes to designated devices signed in to the same account.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
you can set them up to sync if you turn on Home Sharing...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
or you can do it the cheap guy's way (points at self) and turn on automatic downloads so that every time you purchase something from the store, it goes to designated devices signed in to the same account.

Never thought of doing things that way since I don't keep a ton of content on my iDevices.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Again chas_m

I appreciate your help.
I should have remembered that I had automatic downloads turned on.

Also thanks to bobtomay & Slydude for responding.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not sure how much help I was but you're welcome anyway. Every time I think I have iTunes figured out somebody shows me something I never thought of doing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.